Creamy, milky, and noodle-y, this vermicelli kheer comes together with a few simple ingredients. If you love Rice Kheer but are looking for a dessert that’s well, a bit more fun to eat (thanks to the noodles!), you’re sure to love this recipe.
What is Vermicelli Kheer?
Vermicelli kheer, also known as seviyan kheer, sheer kurma, or semiyan payasam, is the simplest Indian dessert to make! It’s a creamy noodle pudding made with milk, crushed nuts, golden raisins, and spiced with cardamom and saffron. To make it, you pour all of the ingredients into an Instant Pot and cook! That’s it!
When I was a kid, my parents would take me to Gurdawara (place of worship) and whenever I’d hear that kheer was on the langar menu, I’d literally pray that it was the “noodle kheer” and not the rice one, lol. It was my absolute favorite. Rice was boring in comparison. As an adult, I’ve come to appreciate both – but I have to say, noodle kheer still wins ha.
Ingredients for Vermicelli Kheer
- Vermicelli Noodles (Regular or Gluten Free): you can use either 25 grams of roasted vermicelli noodles wheat OR 50 grams of gluten-free brown rice vermicelli. You can always add more noodles if you prefer a more noodle-y kheer. Please read the recipe notes below if you plan to use unroasted brown rice vermicelli!
- Whole Milk
- Cardamom: freshly ground
- Crushed Nuts: pistachios & almonds
- Golden Raisins
Can I Make this Gluten-Free?
Yes! You can use wheat OR gluten-free brown rice vermicelli.
If you’re looking to make gluten-free vermicelli kheer, you’ll want to use two teaspoons of ghee and 50 grams of brown rice vermicelli noodles. Melt the ghee and sauté the noodles in ghee for 5 minutes, then proceed with the recipe.
It’s essential for the vermicelli noodles to be roasted first. Wheat vermicelli comes pre-roasted (and if the package you’re buying doesn’t say roasted then you’ll need to roast that too!). Gluten-free vermicelli isn’t roasted, which is why you need to roast it in ghee first.
How to Make Vermicelli Kheer in an Instant Pot
This kheer is SO simple to make. Add all ingredients to the pot and pressure cook for ONE minute.
Naturally release pressure (do not quick release; otherwise, the milk will spill out).
Garnish with crushed nuts, and serve! See? So Easy!
I can’t wait for you to try this recipe and see how easy it is to make. I hope you love this sweet noodle kheer as much as I do! 🙂
More Indian Dessert Recipes:
- 25 grams roasted vermicelli noodles (wheat) OR 50 grams of gluten-free brown rice vermicelli* (see notes)
- 3 cups whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- Pinch of saffron
- ¼ cup crushed raw pistachios & raw almonds + more for garnish
- ¼ cup golden raisins/sultanas
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot, secure the lid, and pressure cook for 1 minute at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure (do not quick release otherwise the milk will spill out).
- Garnish with additional crushed nuts.
- To make this gluten-free, use 2 teaspoons ghee and 50 grams brown rice vermicelli noodles. Heat the ghee and sauté the noodles in ghee for 5 minutes, then proceed with the recipe above.
Leave a Comment & Rating