I love Thai food and I love casseroles, so it only makes sense that this Thai Ground Beef Spaghetti Squash Casserole exists in my world. It’s delicious, comforting and it’ll have you looking forward to leftovers. I’m not kidding about that… it’s day three and as I write this, I’m thinking about what’s waiting for me come lunch.
This dish has that sought after umami flavor, which enhances the taste of the entire casserole – ensuring that every bite will be as savory as the last. For those who aren’t familiar with umami – it’s a unique flavor that isn’t sweet, sour, salty, or bitter. It’s often described as savory. The mushrooms and fish sauce help to naturally add this flavor. I also use a handful of other ingredients in this casserole, including: spaghetti squash, organic mushrooms, coconut aminos, onions, ginger and Thai red curry paste.
I love using spaghetti squash in my recipes (see this casserole and these breakfast bites for proof) because it’s such a bland fruit (yep, it’s a fruit). It’s a great way to add fiber to your meal and stretch one pound of ground meat to easily feed a family of six or in my case, a family of two…for like a week. Make this, love it and eat it often.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb grassfed ground beef
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (I used yellow)
- 2-3 thai bird’s eye chili, minced (depends on your spice preference)
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbs Thai Red Curry Paste
- ½ tsp salt, adjust to taste
- ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper, adjust to taste
- 2 tbs Fish Sauce
- 2 tbs Coconut Sugar
- 1 tbs Coconut Aminos
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 8oz pkg sliced organic mushrooms, chopped
- 2 eggs, whisked
- green onion, garnish - optional
- In a pan, add 1 tbs of oil on medium heat and then add onion, thai bird chilies, and a pinch of salt.
- Once onions turn translucent, add garlic and ginger. After a couples minutes add the curry paste, salt, pepper and ground beef
- Once the beef is almost brown, add fish sauce, coconut aminos and coconut sugar. give it a good stir and then add chopped green pepper and mushrooms and stir for five mins
- When the beef is done, combine it with the spaghetti squash and mix it all together.
- Whisk an egg and add it to the mixture then pour it all into a casserole dish.
- Bake casserole at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until golden on top.
- Garnish with green onion and enjoy!