I love Thai food and I love casseroles, so it only makes sense that this Thai Ground Beef Spaghetti Squash Casserole exists in my world. It’s delicious, comforting and it’ll have you looking forward to leftovers. I’m not kidding about that… it’s day three and as I write this, I’m thinking about what’s waiting for me come lunch.
This dish has that sought after umami flavor, which enhances the taste of the entire casserole – ensuring that every bite will be as savory as the last. For those who aren’t familiar with umami – it’s a unique flavor that isn’t sweet, sour, salty, or bitter. It’s often described as savory. The mushrooms and fish sauce help to naturally add this flavor. I also use a handful of other ingredients in this casserole, including: spaghetti squash, organic mushrooms, coconut aminos, onions, ginger and Thai red curry paste.
I love using spaghetti squash in my recipes (see this casserole and these breakfast bites for proof) because it’s such a bland fruit (yep, it’s a fruit). It’s a great way to add fiber to your meal and stretch one pound of ground meat to easily feed a family of six or in my case, a family of two…for like a week. Make this, love it and eat it often.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 Thai bird’s eye chili, minced (adjust to taste)
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch knob fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- ½ teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, adjust to taste
- 1 pound grassfed ground beef
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms, chopped
- 2 eggs, whisked
- green onion, garnish
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and add a little oil, salt and pepper to cut sides.
- Place squash cut side down in a baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until you can easily pierce the skin with a knife (cooking time depends on size of squash).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saute pan, add oil on medium heat and then add the onion, Thai bird chilies, and a pinch of salt.
- Once onions turn translucent, add the garlic and ginger.
- After a couples minutes add the curry paste, salt, and pepper. Mix well, then add the ground beef.
- Once the ground beef is almost brown, add fish sauce, coconut sugar and coconut aminos. Give it a good stir and then add chopped green pepper and mushrooms and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the beef is done, combine it with the cooked spaghetti squash strands and mix well.
- Add the whisked eggs to the mixture, then pour into a casserole dish.
- Bake casserole at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden on top.
- Garnish with green onion and serve.