These nut-free Citrus Cardamom Cupcakes are subtly sweet. You can eat these treats as a light dessert or even for breakfast without feeling too guilty – they’re perfect with a cup of coffee or chai. If you prefer something a bit more decadent, just top them with some sweet citrus curd.
These treats have a muffin like consistency, but since I’ve put frosting on top – I’m calling them cupcakes. They have dense crumb and aren’t overly sweet, so eating just one will satisfy the sweet tooth and keep you full.
A note on baking these sweet little things – make sure to spoon the thick batter into a well greased muffin tin or use silicone baking cups. If you use paper liners, they will stick. Trust me on that one.
I definitely suggest topping these treats with this sweetened orange lemon curd. The flavors go together perfectly. The honey and citrus lend a touch of sweetness and the cardamom helps enhance that sweetness.
I’m already looking forward to eating these cupcakes again – I plan on making them this weekend to celebrate my mom’s birthday. Her birthday was actually last weekend but I was in Canada (see my one-ingredient sorbet blog post for details) so we’ll have a little belated celebration. I think she’s going to love these mini cakes!Print
Citrus Cardamom Cupcakes
- Yield: Approx. 6 large muffins or 2 doz mini muffins
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine wet ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry and spoon the thick batter into well greased mini muffin tins or into Silicone Baking Cups. Each cup should be filled about ¾ full.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown (should pass toothpick test).
- Let cupcakes cool then spread on citrus curd or another frosting.
Time may vary depending on muffin size – check on it after 10 minutes.