How pretty are these coconut caramels? They’re firm but also slightly gooey and they’re perfectly chewy. This gluten-free and dairy-free coconut caramel candy tastes just like… candy! The best part is that they’re made from fruit! You only need three ingredients to make these sweet caramels:
When you make these caramels, you’ll first need to melt your coconut oil in a pan on medium heat. Then, add the chopped dates and saute the fruit. This will help soften the dates and eventually, the dates will melt into each other to form a soft fudge. Add the shredded coconut and then shape the fudge while it’s still warm. Allow it to set in the fridge and once it hardens, cut the date fudge into little caramels. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised after you make these paleo caramels. Sauteing the dates will change the flavor and texture of the fruit. Dates are so sweet and cooking them just caramelizes them further. I think these taste best when eaten at room temperature – when they’re nice and soft.
- Remove pits from dates and then chop dates into small pieces.
- Add coconut oil to a saucepan on medium heat and then add chopped dates. Saute for about five minutes – add shredded coconut flakes and saute for another minute or until dates soak up most of the oil.
- Flatten the pliable date fudge between two sheets of parchment paper or with a spatula.
- Put in the fridge to cool for an hour.
- Remove and cut into caramel squares.
- Let it cool to room temperature and eat like candy!