Who wants gluten-free coconut flour chicken nuggets?! 🙋🏽♀️
There’s one special secret ingredient that keeps these chicken nuggets oh so tender: mayonnaise. You can use egg wash instead if you want, I just think mayo makes them extra tasty and tender. Want to know something funny? I actually came up with this recipe after screwing up a batch of homemade mayo – I didn’t want to waste the failed mayo so I used it as an egg wash and made chicken nuggets. I loved how they came out so much that now I use mayo all the time when making nuggets! Give it a try and let me know what you think 🙂
My favorite part about this recipe is the spiced breading mixture. It’s made with a little smoked paprika, oregano, basil as well as a few other spices, including turmeric. I like to sneak turmeric into just about everything because it makes me feel like whatever I’m eating is a little bit healthier.
You’ll love these pretty little golden nuggets. I’m sure they’ll quickly become a family favorite.
- 1 pound skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup mayo or 2 eggs, whisked
- ⅓ cup arrowroot flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine the arrowroot flour, coconut flour and spices.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the mayo (or egg wash), then dip into the coconut flour mixture. Place the chicken onto the baking sheet and repeat for remaining chicken pieces.
- Bake at 450°F for 20 minutes or until the juices from the chicken run clear.