This healthier, paleo-friendly coconut mithai is creamy, milky, and sweet – with softened ghee-coated cashew pieces spread throughout. Just one piece will satisfy the sweet tooth, as it’s made with ghee and coconut oil.
Coconut mithai is very simple to make – you only need a handful of ingredients. I use ghee and coconut oil to give this dessert a decadent, buttery taste that complements the dessert’s overall coconut flavor.
What is mithai?
Mithai means “sweets;” there’s a wide variety of South Asian sweets, nearly none of them paleo-friendly. The great thing is that with a few adjustments, they can be made into healthier, paleo-friendly treats (try my healthier carrot mithai or my Indian date fudge).
Mithai is an integral part of Indian festivals and special occasions. I’m pretty sure I ate my weight in mithai when Roby and I got married a year and a half ago (October 2012). In fact, here’s one of my favorite pictures of my husband during our engagement ceremony – his mouth stuffed with mithai (ladoo, to be specific).
You don’t need to wait for a special occasion to make this healthier mithai. Just a piece will make any day a little extra special 🙂Print
- 1 cup finely shredded dehydrated coconut
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup of coconut cream (put a can of full-fat unsweetened coconut milkone !important;margin: 0px !important” src=”http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=wwwmyheartbee-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000LKVIEG” alt=”” width=”1″ height=”1″ border=”0″ /> in the fridge overnight, scoop out and use the cream that solidifies on top)
- 3–5 tablespoons honey, adjust to taste
- 10 cardamom pods, use seeds and freshly grind
- 10 cashews, roughly chopped
- In a pan on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon ghee and the chopped cashews. Once the cashews turn golden brown, set them aside.
- Add another 1 tablespoon of ghee to the pan and then add the shredded coconut. Stir-fry for a minute and then set the coconut aside.
- Reduce heat to low, then add the coconut cream, honey, cardamom powder, and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to the pan. Once melted, add the shredded coconut and cashew pieces back in.
- Mix well then spread the mixture on a plate or in a small pan.
- Put it in the fridge and chill for 2 hours, then slice and serve.