This Gajar ka Halwa Cake is like the Indian version of carrot cake. It’s made with ghee, pistachios, cashews, golden raisins and plenty of freshly ground cardamom. It’s also very low in sugar – there are only 2 tablespoons of raw honey in the whole cake! My carrot cake is based off the famous north Indian dessert, gajar ka halwa (carrot fudge).
Gajar ka Halwa is also known as gajrela (see my recipe here) and it’s one of my dad’s favorite desserts. Today is my dad’s birthday and so I came up with this cake recipe for him 🙂 I made this cake earlier in the week and it turned out amazingly. I’m going to bake this same cake later today so we can enjoy it tonight!
If you like carrot cake and cardamom, you’ll love this cake. The ghee adds a rich buttery flavor and the carrots, raisins and raw honey add sweetness. I love the cashews and pistachios in the cake – they kind of soften in the oven and provide unique texture to the dessert. The main reason I love this cake? Because I know my dad will absolutely love it! And I hope you will too!Print
- 4 cups carrots, grated
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup cashews, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 5 tablespoons melted ghee
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder (freshly ground cardamomone !important;margin: 0px !important” src=”http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=wwwmyheartbee-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B001FVPAZ8″ alt=”” width=”1″ height=”1″ border=”0″ /> is best!)
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- coconut butter, optional for glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Add carrots, raisins, cashews, pistachios and ghee into a bowl. Mix well.
- In another bowl, add almond flour, baking soda and cardamom and stir until well combined.
- Add the carrot mixture to the bowl and combine well – then mix in the honey and eggs.
- Pour into a 9-inch springform pan and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Optional coconut drizzle: warm coconut butter and drizzle. Mix in some coconut oil if the butter is too thick.