When it feels like it’s a million degrees outside, the last thing I want to do is to turn on the oven. The thing is that I love baked desserts, especially when they’re made with the ripest of summer fruit.
This grilled pineapple fruit crisp is so easy to make and it’s absolutely delicious too. The grill helps caramelize the sugars in the pineapple, removing any need to add sweetener. The grilled pineapple literally tastes like sweet and juicy citrus candy:
This nutty crisp is perfect for any special summer occasion or for your everyday backyard bbq. Baking this crisp in a cast iron skillet on the grill means you can make a delicious dessert without turning on your oven on a hot summer day!
We make this on weeknights all the time with a variety of fruit! It’s simple but decadent and can make any night feel special. This crisp works oh so well with just about any fruit: peaches, nectarines, apricots, plums, mangoes, etc. I’m sure it’ll be delicious with crisp autumn apples too once the season changes (let’s not think about that just yet though…).
I found most of the ingredients for this pineapple crisp at my favorite grocery store: ALDI. If you follow me on Instagram, then you know I’m a regular ALDI shopper. I’m always surprised to find new organic and/or gluten-free items every time I walk into their store. I’m in love with their SimplyNature Organic Coconut Oil – I always keep an extra jar in my pantry. During my most recent trip, I found organic almonds for less than $8! I usually buy their regular raw almonds, but if given a choice between organic and not, I’ll always pick organic.
I love the taste of the toasty topping combined with the sweet pineapple. The combination of coconut and pineapple makes it feel nice and tropical. You can serve this with a scoop of (dairy-free) ice cream if you want!
Grilled Pineapple Crisp
- ½ pineapple, cored and sliced into large pieces
- ½ cup SimplyNature Organic Whole Almonds or Southern Grove Whole Almonds
- ½ cup Southern Grove Pecans
- ½ cup Organic Coconut Flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Salt
- 2 tablespoons SimplyNature Organic Coconut Oil
- Place the pineapple slices onto a hot grill and grill until nicely charred.
- Meanwhile, add the pecans, almonds, coconut flakes and salt into a food processor and combine until well blended. Add this to a small mixing bowl with coconut oil and combine well.
- Take the pineapple off the grill and once cool enough to handle, chop into small pieces.
- Add the pineapple to a cast iron skillet and sprinkle with the topping.
- Place the cast iron skillet on the grill.
- Cover the grill for 5-7 minutes to toast the topping.
Serve with coconut whipped cream or dairy-free ice cream if desired. If you can tolerate real dairy, you can find ice cream at ALDI!
Available while quantities last. Items may not be available in all stores. Prices and labels may vary by location. Follow ALDI on: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Blog to keep up with new recipes and products 🙂
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: Thanks ALDI for sponsoring this post! I love that you now carry so many gluten-free options for me & my readers!