Whenever I see giant portobello mushrooms in the grocery store, I start to think about all the many things I can fill them with… after all, portobello mushrooms are meant to stuffed, right?
Hot sausage stuffed portobello mushrooms are loaded with flavor and so super simple to make! You just need 5 ingredients and BAM, you’ve got a meal.
I realize that little stuffed mushrooms are a thing. They’re cute and fancy and make for a tasty appetizer. But really, by the time you’re done eating those little ‘shrooms, you’ve basically eaten the equivalent to one giant mushroom cap, right? So let’s save ourselves some time and eat a giant cap instead. (though you can obviously stuff little mushrooms if you want to).
To make these hot sausage stuffed portobello mushrooms you’ll first have to clean out the mushroom caps then fill them up with browned hot sausage, a bit of fresh garlic and chopped bell peppers. SO YUM. After that, you bake them in a hot oven and sprinkle some mozzarella on top if you want to or just garnish them with fresh basil. Easy and flavorful – a great motto, right? For the blog, not for me! Okay, that was a pre-mom joke. Sorry for being inappropriate… but I mean, I kind of had to.
Anyway, the Super Bowl is coming up (like, tomorrow…). Why not serve this as a game day meal? Much easier than making little mushroom caps and much healthier than ordering a pizza.
I’ve tried this both with and without cheese and both versions are really, really good. I’m not gonna lie, the cheese does make it feel more decadent because that’s the purpose of cheese. It’s still delicious even if you decide to skip it.
Don’t skip the fresh basil though. It adds color to the caps and I love the flavor! Same goes for the red bell pepper! I find red bell peppers to be sweeter than green and that sweetness pairs nicely with the spicy hot sausage.
This is a great recipe for any time of the day. If spicy sausage isn’t your thing – I bet this would be a great with a sweet sausage too! Especially for breakfast with a side of scrambled eggs. This is a dish that you can easily adapt to your tastes.
- 6 large portabella mushroom caps
- 1 pound hot sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- Optional toppings: shredded mozzarella & fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Clean mushrooms by removing stems and gills. Chop the stems and set aside for now.
- Add the hot sausage and onion to dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat and cook until browned, adding a swish of oil if needed. Make sure to break up the meat as much as possible. Turn off the heat, then stir in the garlic, chopped bell pepper and mushroom stems.
- Place the mushrooms caps on a parchment-lined sheet pan then spoon the sausage mixture into the mushroom caps.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes at 350F.
- Top with cheese if desired and broil for 1-2 mins or until cheese melts.
- Move the mushrooms onto a paper towel-lined plate to dry them off a bit.
- Garnish with basil if desired and serve.