This is the easiest mac and cheese you’ll ever make. It’s cheesy, gluten-free, and takes just minutes to cook in an Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
I realize that mac and cheese isn’t the healthiest thing in the world, but homemade mac and cheese sure beats the kind that comes out of a box. And sometimes, the fact is that you just want a bowl of warm, cheesy pasta. I’ll be honest, this (gluten-free) mac and cheese has saved me on more than one occasion. It’s the perfect thing to make when your fridge is near empty and you have a toddler and husband who have made it clear that they need food ASAP. I can have this on the table in just 4 minutes – not bad, huh. That’s right, 4 minutes and lunch/dinner is served. While the noodles cook, I just shred some cheese and throw together a side salad. Easy.
Mac and cheese isn’t anything fancy but I think that’s the beauty of it. It’s a simple, no fuss meal that also happens to be tasty and picky kid/husband approved. The funny thing is that currently, my husband is pickier than my toddler… anyone else in the same boat?
I know mac and cheese is super easy to make on the stovetop but it’s even easier and faster to make mac and cheese in an Instant Pot.
How to Make Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese in an Instant Pot?
I’ve been experimenting with different types of gluten-free noodles but so far gluten-free Barilla elbow macaroni is the only one that has worked out well for me. I tried black bean pasta and brown rice quinoa pasta but both of those turned to mush and I’ve also tried Banza chickpea flour pasta which turned out okay but still needs some testing.
I’ll update the recipe card with a list of brands that work out well for me and also ones that don’t. In the meantime, trust me and use gluten-free Barilla elbow macaroni. If you do try another brand – please leave a comment to let me know what worked for you!
“I’ve made this several times using both Barilla elbow and penne. Penne needs a little more cook time. LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe and is me easy go to anytime!”Cynthia
- Add the macaroni, water, butter, salt and turmeric to the Instant Pot.
- Secure lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 4 minutes at high pressure.
- Quick release pressure as soon as the time is up, then immediately stir in the cheese and heavy cream.
- Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper and serve.
- If using turmeric, only use a pinch! Too much will make the pasta bitter.
- Make sure to quick release pressure as soon as the time is up. If you wait too long, the noodles will overcook.
- If gluten-free, I recommend using Barilla gluten-free elbow macaroni
- Please let me know if you try another brand of gluten-free pasta and if it works for you