This is the easiest mac and cheese you’ll ever make. It’s cheesy, gluten-free and takes literally just minutes to cook in an Instant Pot.
I realize that mac and cheese isn’t the healthiest thing in the world, but homemade mac and cheese sure beats the kind that comes out of a box. And sometimes, the fact is that you just want a bowl of warm, cheesy pasta. I’ll be honest, this (gluten-free) mac and cheese has saved me on more than one occasion. It’s the perfect thing to make when your fridge is near empty and you have a toddler and husband who have made it clear that they need food ASAP. I can have this on the table in just 4 minutes – not bad, huh. That’s right, 4 minutes and lunch/dinner is served. While the noodles cook, I just shred some cheese and throw together a side salad. Easy.
Mac and cheese isn’t anything fancy but I think that’s the beauty of it. It’s a simple, no fuss meal that also happens to be tasty and picky kid/husband approved. The funny thing is that currently, my husband is pickier than my toddler… anyone else in the same boat?
I know mac and cheese is super easy to make on the stovetop but it’s even easier and faster to make mac and cheese in an Instant Pot.
what if I want to make this gluten-free?
I’ve been experimenting with different types of gluten-free noodles but so far gluten-free Barilla elbow macaroni is the only one that has worked out well for me. I tried black bean pasta and brown rice quinoa pasta but both of those turned to mush and I’ve also tried Banza chickpea flour pasta which turned out okay but still needs some testing.
I’ll update the recipe card with a list of brands that work out well for me and also ones that don’t. In the meantime, trust me and use gluten-free Barilla elbow macaroni. If you do try another brand – please leave a comment to let me know what worked for you!Print
- 2 cups elbow macaroni or gluten-free elbow macaroni (I use this brand)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of turmeric, optional for color
- 1 ½ cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream or unsweetened coconut cream
- black pepper, garnish
- Add the macaroni, water, butter, salt and turmeric to the Instant Pot.
- Secure lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 4 minutes at high pressure.
- Quick release pressure as soon as the time is up, then immediately stir in the cheese and heavy cream.
- Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper and serve.
- If using turmeric, only use a pinch! Too much will make the pasta bitter.
- Make sure to quick release pressure as soon as the time is up. If you wait too long, the noodles will overcook.
- If gluten-free, I recommend using Barilla gluten-free elbow macaroni
- Please let me know if you try another brand of gluten-free pasta and if it works for you
Gluten-free Brands that work (will update this as I try more brands or brands that my readers recommend): Barilla gluten-free elbow macaroni, Jovial elbow pasta, Garofalo gluten-free penne pasta
Brands that do not work: Trader Joe’s Brown Rice and Quinoa Pasta; Trader Joe’s Black Bean Pasta