I have a super simple and super tasty Italian chicken and tomato soup coming to a bowl near you in 3…2…1!
This instant pot Italian chicken and tomato soup is the perfect anytime soup! I’m talking a year-round soup – perfect for all seasons! It’s hearty and filling and yet somehow also light and fresh!
It tastes like chicken soup AND it tastes like tomato soup. It’s chicken tomato soup! With Italian seasoning!
This is a dump and cook recipe. You literally dump the ingredients into the pot and cook – it couldn’t be easier! I mean, maybe it could be easier if you had a robot to prep the ingredients, dump them into the pressure cooker and press start for you. I feel like that’s not too far off… personal assistant robots that help you with life. Is there a kickstarter for this? If so, sign me up.
I know that it’s not soup season, but I actually like eating soup in the spring/summer. Cold soup is nice (like gazpacho) and warm soups are also nice as long as they are light like this chicken and tomato soup. Topping this soup with fresh basil makes it taste so bright and fresh.
This recipe is low carb and paleo-friendly but you’ll like this dish even if you’re not following those diets. You can also add some sweet corn to this soup! We do that sometimes and it’s so delicious. In fact, I’d say adding fresh corn will make it taste even more summer-y.
Also, try not to skip out on the toppings that I list below. Fresh basil leaves add a lot of flavor and that necessary summer-y feeling – especially if you’re eating this on a hot day. And parmesan and ricotta… I mean, need I say more? You’ll love that salty umami cheese-y flavor that it adds to the soup!Print
- 1 ½ pounds skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup broth or water
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 medium Zucchini, chopped
- Fresh basil leaves
- Ricotta cheese
- Add all of the ingredients except for the zucchini and basil leaves to the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 10 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken.
- Stir in the zucchini – it’ll warm up on it’s own but if you’d like for the zucchini to be tender, press sauté and cook until tender.
- Top with basil leaves and parmesan and a dollop of ricotta if desired (highly recommend!).
- This soup has a thick consistency but you can can easily add more stock for a thinner soup – just be sure to add more salt and pepper to taste.
- You can add more veggies if desired – again, adjust the salt and pepper if you do. We really enjoy adding frozen corn to this too!