I loved eating sloppy joes as a kid – so fun and messy! Today, I’m sharing a delicious recipe for sloppy joe meat sauce – you can make this so easily in an instant pot!
This recipe is likely a bit more sophisticated in flavor than the traditional sloppy joe meat you ate as a child – thanks to the addition of smoked paprika, molasses and a touch of cayenne. I’m sure you’ll love the sauce!
Once the meat is done cooking in your instant pot, you can hit the “sauté” function to reduce some of the liquid. That’ll keep the sloppy joes from becoming a bit too sloppy. Meat tends to release a lot of water – so I usually do this with most meat dishes that I make in the instant pot. It helps concentrate the flavors without too much extra liquid.
This recipe calls for two pounds of meat – I usually freeze half the batch for a rainy/lazy day. You can halve the recipe if you want. Also, if you don’t have an instant pot, you can make my sloppy joe boats instead!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 onions diced
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne adjust to taste!
- Cilantro garnish – optional
- Press the “sauté” button on the Instant Pot. Add the oil and onions and and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic, spices and ground beef. Cook until the beef is mostly browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients, then cover the lid and close the pressure valve. Cook for 10 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure (or use the quick release if short on time).
- Open the pot and if the meat released a lot of liquid, press the “saute” button to boil off any extra liquid. Reduce the sauce according to your desired level of thickness.