We are making pineapple lassi! A creamy, frothy, drink made with grilled pineapple and yogurt – the ultimate summer drink. It’s light, refreshing, a little tart yet oh so sweet!
Pineapple lassi is similar to mango lassi – the main difference being we’re using pineapple and not mango, of course.
You can make pineapple lassi with grilled pineapple, but if you’re not in the mood to grill, make sure to heat the pineapple up before using it (or used canned pineapple). Just don’t mix raw freshly cut pineapple with dairy – the two don’t mix well and you’ll end up with a bitter lassi.
Grilled Pineapple Lassi
Grilling pineapple is key to creating this delicious summery sweet shake. That’s because the grill helps caramelize the sugars in the pineapple, making the fruit incredibly sweet. It’s so sweet that even when it’s paired with tart yogurt, there’s no need to add sweetener.
Grilled pineapple lassi is lighter in color than a traditional mango lassi – that’s because pineapple is a lighter yellow fruit. If you look closely into the drink, you can actually see little black flecks from the charred marks on the grilled pineapple. SO so good.
The flavor of this drink is so unique – it’s similar but still unlike other fruit lassi recipes. It’s spiced with a hint of cardamom and rose water, though you can always leave those out if you want. This is the drink to make when it feels like it’s a million degrees outside. With every sip, you’ll feel a little cooler.
You can make this drink with the yogurt of your choice – regular, greek, or even dairy-free. You can also add sweetener to the drink if you need it.
If you don’t want to wait for the grilled pineapple to cool down, you can blend it right away and serve it over ice cubes.
- 1 pound grilled pineapple (approx. ½ pineapple)
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt or yogurt of choice regular, greek or dairy-free coconut yogurt
- ⅓ cup water (or milk of choice) adjust to desired consistency
- 3 tablespoons sugar adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon rose water optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom optional
- Grill the pineapple over medium-high heat until slightly charred, then allow it to cool.
- Blend with remaining ingredients.
- Either refrigerate until chilled or serve over ice immediately.