There’s nothing I love more than a warm breakfast on a crisp morning – served with a cup of chai, of course. It might sound silly, but starting the day off with a healthy, filling meal makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something. It’s the little things. I guess it is an accomplishment though, right? Feeding yourself a nourishing meal is something to be proud of, especially in our busy lives.
These breakfast sausage patties are made with fresh sage, sweet apple, a hint of spicy cayenne as well as a few other spices. I love the flavor combo of savory, sweet and spicy!
Also, take a second to admire that perfectly golden crust! Don’t you want to eat this every morning? I tell you, cast iron skillets can do amazing things when it comes to browning meat.
These sausage patties just so happen to freeze really well, so keep extras in your freezer all season long. If you want to, feel free to double or triple the recipe.
Serve these spicy apple and sage sausage patties with a side of scrambled eggs and sweet apple slices. Making a special weekend brunch? Add my paleo pancakes to the menu too! And, here are more tasty breakfast ideas for you to check out.Print
Spicy Apple & Sage Sausage Patties
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 patties
- 1 pound pork (organic and/or pastured if possible)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ cup finely diced apple
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped sage
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons butter or enough to shallow fry
- Add all of the ingredients, except for the butter, into a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 10-12 patties.
- Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the patties to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through.