This soup tastes like a cross between butternut squash soup and Panang curry. It’s a Thai-inspired soup that’s rich and velvety and perfectly creamy. BUT wait. There’s NO cream in the recipe!
Nada. Zip. Zero. Not even coconut cream. The creaminess comes from a (not-so) secret ingredient: cashew butter.
(If you watched the video, did you catch my pun at the end? Whyyyy am I so awkward when I tell a joke?)
In case you didn’t already know… I’m in LOVE with cashew butter. I use it in sweet and savory dishes all the time. Last month, I made my cashew butter blondies at least twenty times, but now that we’re in the new year, I’m trying to use it in more savory applications like this soup:
I get my cashew butter from ALDI – it’s $5.99 for a 12-ounce jar, which is the best price I’ve found anywhere. Before I go to any other grocery store, I usually head to ALDI to see what I can buy there first. They have a surprisingly large selection of healthy ingredients: all kinds of nuts, organic produce, and other gluten-free and organic items (you can find my full Real Food at ALDI shopping guide here).
During my trip to visit the ALDI headquarters late last year, I also learned that they removed all certified synthetic colors, partially hydrogenated oils, and added MSG from their exclusive brand food products. I use a lot of products from their SimplyNature line (which are free from over 125 artificial ingredients):
This soup is perfection on its own, but you can always add protein to it if you want. I’ve tried adding shredded chicken and ground beef – both are delish when added to this soup. I also like to top my soup with crushed cashews and cilantro or Thai basil but that’s obviously optional.
The best thing about this flavorful and spicy Thai Butternut Squash soup is that it’s so rich and filling, and yet, it’s also a light and healthy meal that’ll have you feeling good after you eat it.
- 2 pounds Butternut Squash peeled
- 4 cups Organic Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- ⅓ cup Cashew Butter
- 2 tablespoons Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 Onion roughly chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1- inch Ginger minced
- 3 tablespoons Thai Curry Paste
- 2 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 4 tablespoons Coconut Aminos
- ½ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Lime juiced
- Melt the coconut oil in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute for 7-10 minutes, or until they begin to brown.
- Once that happens, add the garlic, ginger and Thai curry paste and give it a quick stir.
- Then add the butternut squash, chicken stock, cashew butter, fish sauce, coconut aminos, spices and lime juice.
- Stir until the cashew butter melts into the soup, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the butternut squash is tender.
- Use an immersion blender (or a regular blender) to carefully puree the soup.
- Garnish with crushed cashews, cilantro or Thai basil if desired.
Available while quantities last. Items may not be available in all stores. Prices and labels may vary by location. Follow ALDI on: Facebook, Twitter & Instagram to keep up with new recipes and products 🙂
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: Thanks ALDI for sponsoring this post! I love that you now carry so many gluten-free options for me & my readers!
Leave a Comment & Rating