If you’ve never tried zucchini noodles or zoodles before then oh my goodness you are in for a treat. Zoodles are totally reminiscent of spaghetti pasta noodles. Being able to twirl noodles around a fork… it’s everything to a person who has been deprived of actual pasta.
Topping said zoodles with the easiest, creamiest and tastiest vodka sauce ever… well, that’s the cherry on top. Or, more literally… the sauce on top.
This paleo and dairy-free vodka sauce is perhaps the simplest vodka sauce recipe in existence. You don’t need to chop onions or mince garlic. All you have to do is add a handful of ingredients to a blender, and blend until well combined. Then, you just heat it up and pour it on top of the zucchini noodles. The end result? Creamy and spicy tomato sauce overtop crisp yet tender zoodles.
I like to top my dish with a little goat cheese. Roby likes his with goat cheese and prosciutto. You can add any protein to this to make it a more filling meal: ground beef, leftover chicken, shrimp, portabello mushrooms.
It’s the perfect light meal on a summer’s night.
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or a handful of fresh basil if you have it
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil I love this brand - it's very flavorful
- 2 medium zucchini spiralized
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- Optional: Prosciutto and goat cheese
- Pour all of the ingredients listed under sauce into a blender and blend until well combined. Set aside while you prepare the zucchini noodles (zoodles).
- Heat the avocado oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add zoodles and stir-fry for 2-4 minutes, or until the zoodles are tender.
- Remove the pan from heat and allow the zoodles to rest in the pan for 5 minutes to allow moisture to release.
- Using tongs, remove the zoodles from the pan, leaving any water in the pan.
- Add the sauce to the pan and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the pasta and top with prosciutto and goat cheese if desired.