This paleo-friendly Coconut Mithai is creamy, milky and sweet – with softened ghee-coated cashew pieces spread throughout. Just one piece will satisfy the sweet tooth, as it’s made with a delicious healthy fat.
Coconut mithai is very simple to make – you only need six ingredients. There’s one ingredient that I used to make this recipe extra special – Coconut Ghee from Pure Indian Foods. It’s a mixture made of equal parts organic grass-fed ghee and organic virgin coconut oil – so it gives the dessert a decadent, buttery taste while also adding to the coconut flavor of the dessert. If you don’t want to get that, you can just use a combination of ghee and coconut oil to make this.
Mithai means “sweets” – there’s a wide variety of South Asian sweets, none of them paleo. The great thing is that with a few adjustments, they can be made into paleo-friendly treats (try my Carrot Mithai or Date Mithai). Mithai is an integral part of Indian festivals and special occasions. I’m pretty sure I ate my weight in mithai when Roby and I got married a year and a half ago. In fact, here’s an awesome picture of my husband during our engagement ceremony – his mouth stuffed with mithai.
You don’t need to wait for a special occasion to make this mithai. Just a piece will make any day a little extra special
- In a pan on medium heat, add 1 tbs coconut ghee and the chopped cashews. Once the cashews turn golden brown, set them aside.
- Add another 1 tbs of coconut ghee to the pan and then add the shredded coconut. Stir-fry for a minute and then set the coconut aside.
- Reduce heat to low and add coconut cream, honey, cardamom powder and the remaining 2 tbs ghee to the pan. Once melted, add the shredded coconut and cashew pieces back in.
- Mix well then spread the mixture on a plate or in a small pan.
- Put it in the fridge to let it cool - after a couple hours, slice and serve.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.