First let me start with – this sauce isn’t just for the holidays! This cranberry pomegranate sauce is simply ahmayzing. Yes, it’s so good that it requires me to misspell the word amazing. The best part about this tasty fruity relish is that it requires just THREE ingredients: cranberries, pomegranate seeds and apple juice (organic).
I think pomegranate seeds add so much flavor and texture to this relish. They’re sweet and tangy which goes well with the tart cranberries. Combine all three ingredients in a saucepan on medium heat and watch as the cranberries break down to form an incredible thick sauce. I love watching the berries pop. The pomegranate gems will release their fruity juice into the sauce. Oh, it’s just so incredibly tasty… and easy to make!
Cranberry sauce is typically made with cranberries, refined white sugar, water and sometimes juice. By using apple juice, you can cut out the need for added sugar. If you prefer a sweeter sauce, just add some honey. I know my husband likes his sauce sweet, so I usually added a tablespoon or two of raw local honey.
If you don’t have organic apple juice then you can also substitute with 100% pomegranate or orange juice. That’ll make for a tangy sauce so you will want to add sweetener if you go that route.
Yes, this pomegranate cranberry sauce is perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas but it’s also a great recipe for whenever you can get your hands on some fresh cranberries and pomegranates 🙂Print
- 8 ounces organic cranberries
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup organic 100% apple juice
- sweetener to taste, optional (I add 1-2 tablespoons of honey)
- Put the cranberries, pomegranate seeds and apple juice in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for 8-12 minutes or until the cranberries pop and the sauce thickens – stirring occasionally.
- Add sweetener if using.
- Cool to room temperature then store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
you can also use orange or pomegranate juice but it will turn out a bit more tart. just use sweetener to adjust to taste.