I LOVE brussels sprouts.
That is something that 10-year-old me never thought I’d say..
I can 100 percent understand why Brussels sprouts have a bad rep. If you don’t prepare them properly, they’re like soggy little cabbages that smell bad. BUT when you make them right (i.e. roast them in the oven OR deep fry them) then they turn out just the opposite: crispy and caramelized little cabbage-like cuties that smell sweet. SO MUCH BETTER.
Today’s method of cooking Brussels sprouts: roasting them in an oven at high heat. The key is to cook these little guys cut side down, that way the bottom gets all caramelized, the middle stays tender and the tops get nice and crispy.
This recipe is super simple – just some sprouts coated in a few spices. After they roast in the oven, they get a quick toss in a bit of maple syrup.
The result: savory Brussels with a hint of heat and a hint of sweet 😉
This is an easy side dish that everyone will love – even the Brussels sprouts haters in your life.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Add the brussels sprouts, oil and spices to a large bowl and mix well (save the bowl).
- Place the brussels sprouts on a foil-lined baking sheet, cut side down.
- Roast at 400F for 30 minutes.
- Add the roasted sprouts back to the large bowl, add maple syrup and toss until well combined.