I love egg curry and I love coconut milk, so it only makes sense that coconut egg curry is one of my favorite dishes to make and eat! While I’d love to take credit for this unique combination (eggs and coconut), it’s actually a very popular dish in Kerala, a state in India.
I grew up eating a lot of north Indian/Punjabi food because that’s where my parents are from (I actually have an awesome Punjabi egg curry recipe on the blog too). I have to admit though, I think I might just like south Indian food better. The two cuisines are SO different! And I just absolutely love the flavor of fresh curry leaves and coconut – two major ingredients in Keralite cuisine.
My husband’s family is from Kerala and there, they eat this coconut egg curry for breakfast. Since Roby (hubby) is used to having this dish for breakfast or brunch, he thinks it’s a little strange when I make it for dinner, but he helps me gobble it up anyway.
Don’t let this curry intimidate you. It has a several ingredients but is incredibly easy to make. You only need one pan and then you just have to add the ingredients at the right time (follow the directions below). When you cut the onions, leave them a little choppy, so you can taste them alongside the egg. It makes for a nice texture.
I could eat this all week… but we devoured it all last night. Looks like I’ll be making more again soon.
Like Indian food? Then be sure to check out my Paleo Indian eCookbook: South Asian Persuasion! It has 100+ Paleo Indian Recipes, many of which you won’t find anywhere else (paneer, anyone?)! 🙂Print
A golden-hued egg curry made with spiced coconut milk. This creamy dish is typically eaten for breakfast in Kerala, but you can eat this for lunch or dinner too.
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1-2 Serrano peppers, slit
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon meat masala
- 1 sprig of fresh curry leaves
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can of organic full-fat coconut milk
- Melt coconut oil in a deep skillet or dutch oven and add mustard seeds. When the seeds start to splutter, add dried red chilies, onions, and slit Serrano pepper(s).
- After about 10 minutes or once the onions soften, add turmeric, salt, black pepper, meat masala and curry leaves and stir-fry for a minute.
- Next, add the can of coconut milk and cook on low for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the eggs, cook for a couple more minutes, then serve.