To be honest, I didn’t think it was possible… to bake a cake this delicious using JUST coconut flour. My favorite paleo-friendly cakes (chocolate cake, vanilla cake) usually call for a blend of gluten-free flours, but this coconut flour cake is surprisingly good – I’m talking birthday cake level good. This is the perfect cake for those of you who can’t eat nuts but still want to enjoy a slice of cake on your birthday.
Speaking of birthdays… I turned 30… over two months ago. I’m finally ready to talk about it.
I know, I know, 30 isn’t old… unless you’re a teenager reading my blog, in which case you think I’m ancient. Roby wanted to do something special for it, so we took a trip to the west coast (it was my first time there). We went to San Francisco and Vegas – and while both were really nice, I have to say – I think I prefer the east coast. Ask me again in the dead of winter and I might have a different answer for you.
That said, I got to see one of my favorite artists perform live. If you’ve read my “about me” section, you know I’m a big Mariah Carey fan. Well, she happened to be in Vegas and we happened to see her perform. She was incredible. Easily my favorite part of the trip… when it turned midnight (east coast time – which Roby had to point out because I was too busy watching MC) – she sang my FAVORITE song: Fantasy. I might have cried a little.
Anyway, I think this cake is great considering it’s nut-free and paleo-friendly. If you or a loved one have a nut-allergy, this is the cake to make. Top it with your favorite frosting (or not) and celebrate with cake!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda to a bowl and mix well.
- Add the non-dairy milk, eggs, coconut oil and maple syrup to the bowl and using a hand mixer, mix until well combined and smooth. As you continue to mix, the batter will thicken.
- Pour the batter into a greased or parchment-lined 9” round pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool on a wire rack. Once completely cool, remove it from the pan and serve.