Gluten-free, paleo hand pies
The crust is golden, crispy, and perfectly flaky. Add a sprinkle of coarse sea salt on top, and you’ll swear you’re eating pie crust. It’s hard to believe that these mini handheld pies are gluten-free and dairy-free.
When these come out of the oven, you’re going to want to inhale them the second they’re cool to touch. And you should. Eat them while they’re warm. If you’re making these mini-pies in advance, you can put them in the freezer and reheat them in a pan over the stove – they’ll be almost as good as fresh out of the oven.
Use any filling you’d like!
Inside the pies are a sweet filling – made up of your favorite fruit! Or chocolate! Or, well, whatever you want. I’ve tried this with many different fillings, including peaches, blueberries, strawberries, apples.
Here are my peach pies:
Here’s a photo of my blueberry and goat cheese hand pies:
And here are my apple turnovers:
Watch the video in the post, and let me know if it’s helpful! This is my first video for the blog 🙂 My favorite part about this video: the background music by my husband Roby (playing the guitar). If you like the video in this post, feel free to subscribe to my youtube channel – this way you’ll be notified when I put together a new video.
So, what’d you think? Leave me a comment to let me know 🙂Print
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the pie crust, combine the coconut milk, tapioca flour, and almond flour in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour ¼ cup of the batter onto a pre-heated (eco-friendly) non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Let the batter cook until the bottom of the flatbread is firm enough to move.
- Using a spatula, lift the bread and move it onto a baking sheet, flipping it over so that the sticky side is down.
- Repeat this until the batter is done – for a total of six pies.
- Put a tablespoon of your chopped fruit filling onto the pastry.
- Using a brush, put some egg wash around the edges to help seal the pie shut. You can use a fork to help you crimp the edges if needed.
- Once you’ve folded the pastry shut, brush egg wash on top of the pie. Then, take a knife and put a tiny little slit in the middle.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.