This sweet Paleo Apple Turnover is everything that you’d expect a turnover to be. The pastry-like crust is flaky with the perfect amount of crispiness. Break open the golden crust and you’ll find a warm cinnamon apple filling.
Oh. My. Goodness. This perfectly portable dessert will have you dancing around your kitchen – holding an apple turnover in each hand while alternating bites between the two little pies. Yeah, this happened.
The BEST part about this apple turnover is that it’s SO easy to make. If you can make my 3-ingredient Paleo Naan then you’ll have no problem making this. I really should change the name of that recipe to “amazingly awesome 3-ingredient multi-purpose bread” but I kinda like “Paleo Naan.”
Making this recipe is sort of like making my Paleo Samosas or my Paleo Empanadas – but there are some differences. These turnovers are twice as big as the empanadas – this recipe will make three delicious apple turnovers.
You can use any fruit filling you’d like – but apple turnovers were always a favorite of mine as a kid. The apple filling is ridiculously easy to make – just combine apples, coconut sugar, water, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a saucepan and cook for 10 minutes.
To make the crust, combine almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut milk and salt in a bowl and then pour half a cup of the pancake like batter onto a pan over medium heat. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the bottom firms up. Gently place the flatbread onto a baking sheet – cooked side facing up. Cut the edges to form a square shape (eat the edges, because you know you want to). Spoon some of the apple filling onto the crust and fold the dough over – sealing with a bit of egg wash.
I recently made a mini-fruit pie video that you can watch to help you make this turnover. The only difference is that the mini-pies are not in a triangular shape – but hopefully the video will give you an idea of what to do.
Told ya it was easy. You know what’s not easy? Resisting the urge to eat all three of these treats.Print
- 3 apples, peeled, cored, chopped into bite size pieces
- 3 tbs Coconut Sugar
- 2 tbs water
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (Ground)
- ¼ tsp salt
- big pinch Nutmeg, freshly grated
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Let simmer for 10 minutes then set aside and let it cool while you make the crust.
- In a bowl combine almond flour, tapioca flour, and coconut milk to form a batter.
- Ladle ½ cup of batter onto a frying pan on medium heat and cook the flat bread on one side for about 2-3 minutes or until the bottom firms up, then remove and place on a baking sheet – with the cooked side facing upward.
- Cut off edges of the flatbread to form a square shape.
- Spoon apple mixture onto bread, seal with egg wash and pinch the dough closed.
- Brush egg wash on top and repeat.
- Place baking sheet in oven at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until crispy outside.
You’ll have plenty of apple filling left over so you can definitely double the crust recipe if you want.
- Serving Size: 3 apple turnovers