If you’re looking to make a big batch of hearty ground beef chili, this is the recipe for you. We love chili and can’t get enough of it – especially in the winter months. Now that I spend my days taking care of and playing with my little one – I try to cook in bulk in the evenings or during weekends while my husband Roby plays with our kiddo.
This recipe is bean-free, though you can add kidney beans if you want. We prefer our chili to be filled with lots of veggies: carrots, celery, bell peppers and tomatoes. In my opinion, chili doesn’t need beans (unless you’re making a white chicken chili that is – and even then, it’s optional).
I love making chili (and pretty much anything and everything) in my Instant Pot – it helps combine all the flavors in this dish in a short amount of time. You can make this chili in a slow cooker too if you want.
This recipe freezes well, so eat some chili today, tomorrow, all week and freeze for later! If it’s too much, you can certainly halve the recipe. But trust me, you’ll find a way to eat it all.
Ground Beef Chili (Instant Pot & Slow Cooker)
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 10
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons fat of choice
- 2 red onions, diced
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 carrots, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos, minced (remove the seeds and rib for a less spicy chili)
- 4 (14 ounce) cans organic diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne, adjust to taste (optional)
Instant Pot Directions:
- Press the “Sauté” button on the Instant Pot, and add the oil, onions and garlic to the pot. Saute for 1-2 minutes, then add the ground beef. Cook until the beef is browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot, then cover and lock the lid.
- Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button on the Instant Pot, then press the “Bean/Chili” button to begin the pressure cooking. It will automatically be set for 30 minutes. Make sure the steam valve is closed.
- Once the chili is done, the Instant Pot will automatically switch to the “Keep Warm” mode. Allow the pressure to release naturally (I do not recommend using quick release as the pot is very full).
- Garnish with cilantro, cheese, or sour cream if desired.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Add oil to a pan and saute the onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onions, garlic and beef to a slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients and cook on low for 4-5 hours.