This white chicken chili takes very little prep work, you basically just toss several ingredients into a slow cooker or an Instant Pot. It’s so easy and so comforting. If the weather outside is frightful, then make this chili and you’ll feel delightful! Can you tell I’m all about the holidays? 🎄🎅⛄️ Seriously though, if it’s cold outside, this is a must make recipe! If it’s raining or snowing, even better! Grab yourself a bowl of this chicken chili, curl up on the couch with a fuzzy blanket and watch a feel-good Christmas movie.
I came up with this recipe when I was brainstorming what to make for my husband’s birthday party. It was our first party at the house with our little one (Tony turned 2 months the same day Roby turned 31!). I was a little nervous about hosting friends with a new baby, so I wanted to make sure we had food that our guests could help themselves to just in case I was busy with Tony. I made two types of chili and served them in two Instant Pots – this chicken chili and his favorite beef chili. (I also made some garlic bread, corn bread and other snacks). You can see Roby eating a bowl of beef chili in the picture below, but he told me later that he actually liked the white chicken chili the best! I think he has a new favorite chili! Is it weird that I’m really excited about that? Don’t answer that question… 😂
The party went so smoothly! Not only did Tony love our friends (he slept on two of their shoulders!), everyone loved the chili! They all helped themselves to bowl after bowl and I got to relax and sit on the couch.
I’m already so excited for you guys to make this chili – I know you’ll love it! When you do, let me know if it’s your new favorite chili too!
White Chicken Chili
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6-8
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1-2 jalapeño pepper, minced – adjust according to taste
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper, adjust to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (1 pound) bag of corn frozen corn, rinsed (optional if paleo)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed (optional if paleo)
- Serve with cilantro, hot sauce, cheese if desired
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Add all of the ingredients except for the cannellini beans and corn in a slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 on low.
- Remove the lid 30 minutes before cooking, shred the chicken, then stir in the cannellini beans and corn.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Add all of the ingredients except for the cannellini beans and corn to the Instant Pot.
- Cover and lock the lid. Press the “Poultry” button on the Instant Pot. It will automatically be set for 15 minutes. Make sure the steam valve is closed.
- Once the pressure cooking time has finished, carefully turn the valve from “sealing” to “venting” to quick pressure release. (This will allow the steam to escape and you’ll be able to open the lid sooner than waiting for natural release).
- Shred the chicken in the pot then add the cannellini beans and corn to the pot. Press the “saute” button and cook for 5 minutes or until the beans and corn are heated.