This Indian bean salad is my go-to dish for all sorts of occasions. I’m calling this a salad, but it can easily be considered a “dip” if you serve it with tortilla chips!
Here are several reasons why you should make this your go-to recipe too:
- It’s EASY to make.
- It’s filling.
- Just about everyone likes it.
- It’s vegetarian and gluten-free, which also makes it something that a majority of guests can eat.
- Serve it with chips and suddenly, it’s a healthy dip!
- It tastes great when served hot, cold or at room temperature.
- Ingredients are common for those with an Indian pantry (spices on hand, cilantro in the fridge, corn in the freezer and beans in the pantry)
It’s also perfect for all seasons (I guess I should have made this number 8?). You can make this on a game day in the winter and serve it warm, or you can take this with you on a picnic in the spring and eat it cold. Do you see why this is my go-to dish?
Once you make this salad/dip, I’m sure you’ll come up with even more reasons as to why it’s the best.
Indian Bean Salad
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 cans beans of your choice (kidney, great northern, cannellini, black eyed peas)
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder
- 1 cup diced red onion
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 (1 pound) package of frozen corn
- Drain and rinse the canned beans. Set aside for now.
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Then add mustard seeds. Once they begin to pop, add the beans and spices.
- Mix well, then add the onions, cilantro and lemon juice.
- Add the corn and heat until thawed.
To make roasted cumin powder: dry roast cumin seeds in a skillet, then grind.