This corn and bean dip is my go-to side dish for all sorts of occasions. It’s the perfect dish to take to a potluck or a barbecue – it’s always a hit! Good enough to eat with a spoon and even better with some chips! It’s fresh, filling, and lightly infused with Indian flavors.
The dip your chip has been missing! This bean and corn salsa-like dip is made with canned beans, frozen corn, diced mango, red onion, Indian spices, and fresh cilantro. It’s easy to make and healthy too!
This side dish is good enough to eat as is but I like to include chips when serving it to others. The chips make this dip irresistible!
The great thing about this recipe is that you can enjoy it hot, cold, or room temperature. It’s also easy to adapt – make it using whatever canned beans you have at home.
Think of this side as a very lightly spiced chaat – the perfect way to introduce Indian spices to those who are unfamiliar. Everyone who has tried this dip loves it – it’s light and fresh with a hint of Indian flavor. It’s so good!
One reader, Brandy, says: “I LOVE this. So fast and so good! I broke a few tortilla chips up and sprinkled on top and ate it with a spoon so I got the chip & dip experience without too many chips.”
Another reader, Sarah, says: “I made this a few days ago with great northern beans and it was excellent! You are right, it is really good hot, room temp and cold (which is a nice thing when you have leftovers or want to travel with it).”
Here’s why you need to make this your go-to dip recipe:
- It’s EASY to make
- It’s filling
- Everyone likes it!
- It’s vegan and gluten-free, which also makes it something that a majority of guests can eat.
- Serve it with chips and suddenly, it’s a healthy dip!
- It tastes great when served hot, cold, or at room temperature
- Ingredients are common for those with an Indian pantry (spices on hand, cilantro in the fridge, corn in the freezer, and beans in the pantry)
- It’s perfect year-round!
You can make this on a game day in the winter and serve it warm, or you can take this with you on a picnic in the spring and eat it cold. Do you see why this is my go-to dish?
Once you make this, I’m sure you’ll come up with even more reasons as to why it’s the best.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 1 pound package of frozen corn
- 2 cans beans of your choice (I like cannellini) cannellini, kidney, great northern, black eyed peas
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 cup diced mango optional but delicious!
- Drain and rinse the canned beans. Set aside for now.
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium high heat and add mustard seeds. Once they begin to pop, add the onions, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 2 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the corn and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until thawed. Then add the beans and spices and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and add the cilantro, lemon juice and mango.
Leave a Comment & Rating