This Indian bean salad is my go-to dish for all sorts of occasions. I’m calling this a salad, but it can easily be considered a “dip” if you serve it with tortilla chips!
Here are several reasons why you should make this your go-to recipe too:
- It’s EASY to make
- It’s filling
- Just about everyone likes it
- It’s vegetarian and gluten-free, which also makes it something that a majority of guests can eat
- Serve it with chips and suddenly, it’s a healthy dip!
- It tastes great when served hot, cold or at room temperature
- Ingredients are common for those with an Indian pantry (spices on hand, cilantro in the fridge, corn in the freezer and beans in the pantry)
- It’s perfect year-round!
You can make this on a game day in the winter and serve it warm, or you can take this with you on a picnic in the spring and eat it cold. Do you see why this is my go-to dish?
Once you make this salad/dip, I’m sure you’ll come up with even more reasons as to why it’s the best.Print
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 cans beans of your choice (kidney, great northern, cannellini, black eyed peas)
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder
- 1 cup diced red onion
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 (1 pound) package of frozen corn
- Drain and rinse the canned beans. Set aside for now.
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Then add mustard seeds. Once they begin to pop, add the beans and spices.
- Mix well, then add the onions, cilantro and lemon juice.
- Add the corn and heat until thawed.
To make roasted cumin powder: dry roast cumin seeds in a skillet, then grind.