I’m sure you’ve heard of butter chicken, right? Well this instant pot butter chickpea curry recipe has all the butter chicken flavor minus the actual chicken!
I almost don’t want to tell you that this recipe for Instant Pot Butter Chickpeas is vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free because I am sure that if you didn’t know – you wouldn’t know! You know? 😉
I’m telling you guys, this tastes absolutely decadent! This dish is rich and hearty and after eating just a few spoonfuls, you’ll start to feel all warm and cozy inside. Yes, it is the perfect dish for the vegans and vegetarians in your life and it’s also the perfect dish for meat-eaters looking to switch things up. Make this on a meatless Monday or really any day of the week.
My recipe calls for dried chickpeas, making this dish extremely economical. With an Instant Pot, this dish takes a fraction of the time it’d take to make this on the stovetop and cooking this dish in an electric pressure cooker really infuses the chickpeas with a ton of flavor.
I know there’s always a lot of disagreement over whether or not to soak legumes but I think most Indian families (or at least the ones I know) soak beans/legumes prior to cooking. That’s what I do because that’s what my mom taught me and that’s what my grandmother taught her. I think it makes them easier to digest. You do you – but know that if you’re not using pre-soaked beans then you may need to cook the chickpeas for longer than the recipe calls for. My method results in perfectly soft and tender chickpeas.
If you’ve tried my Instant Pot Butter Chicken before, then you will love this recipe. And if you haven’t tried it because you don’t eat meat, now you can – well, the vegan version which is honestly just as good!
- 2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons oil of choice
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne, adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped into large pieces
- ½ cup (unsweetened) cream from the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk
- Pinch of dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- Cilantro, garnish
- Soak the chickpeas in cold water overnight. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Press the sauté button. Add the oil and allow it to heat it up for a minute. Add the onion and stir-fry for 6-7 minutes, or until the onion begins to brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices stir, then add the chickpeas, tomato sauce and water.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 35 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure.
- Add the bell pepper, cream and fenugreek leaves to the pot and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
- If you are not vegan, then feel free to use ghee instead of oil and heavy cream instead of coconut milk!
Love Indian Food and want more Instant Pot recipes?
Then check out my cookbook: Indian Food Under Pressure!