This recipe for Instant Pot butter chicken is so flavorful and easy to make. The pressure cooker seals in all the flavor, so you can even skip marinating the meat. This recipe is a family favorite and tastes like what you’d get an an Indian restaurant, but it’s even better. I really should have called this recipe: Better Butter Chicken.
Before I get to the recipe – I have to share some exciting news!!
My new Indian Instant Pot Cookbook is now available!!
Over the past couple days, I’ve eaten butter chicken for breakfast, lunch and dinner… and I haven’t even gotten tired of it. And now that it’s all gone, I actually really miss it…
Is it weird that I miss food when it’s gone? I have this thing that I do when I’m eating where I take foreverrr to eat the last bite of what’s on my plate because I know when I finish, it’s gone. Roby has a funny thing he does too: he saves the best thing on his plate for last. He like, sets it to the side of his plate. What’s HILARIOUS is when other friends/family members think that he just doesn’t like whatever it is that he set aside and ask if they can eat it. He always says yes because he’s the nicest person ever – then I usually end up laughing like some crazy person because I KNOW. LOL. I’m literally laughing as I write this… I’m the worst, I know.
Okay, silly story aside – the cool thing about this recipe for butter chicken is that you can make it in a jiffy by using an Instant Pot, an electronic pressure cooker (yes, I use words like “jiffy” IRL). You can use the Instant Pot like a slow cooker if you want, but why would you? That’s like asking if you want to eat dinner in 15 minutes or 8 hours…
I made you guys a video so you can see how easy it is to make this!
***Update: While you can follow the steps in this video please know that I have made some changes to the written directions. I suggest using the written recipe but either way works!***
Make this with a big batch of my Paleo Naan, or if you have my eBook – make my Coconut Flour Naan. Oh, oh! And if you have my eBook you can also serve this with jeera cauli rice, dairy-free cucumber raita, potato pakoras (as a side or app!) and for dessert, GULAB JAMUN.
Don’t have an Instant Pot? Here’s how to make Butter Chicken using a regular ol’ pot.
PS did you watch until the veryyyy end of my YouTube video? Roby (my husband/hot tech guy) makes a cameo!Print
This is one of the most popular recipes on my blog! It truly is restaurant-quality, if not better. There’s one ingredient listed below that you may not have used before: dried fenugreek leaves, also known as kasoori methi. Even though this recipe only calls for a small amount, this particular ingredient gives butter chicken it’s distinct taste. I know it might take a little effort to find this ingredient, but please try! I buy dried fenugreek leaves from either Amazon or my local Indian grocery store.
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 ½ pounds skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped in large pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk
- Pinch of dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- Cilantro, garnish
- Press the sauté button and add the ghee and onions to the pot. Stir-fry the onions for 6-7 minutes or until the onions begin to brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chicken. Stir-fry the chicken for 6-7 minutes or until the outside of the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the spices and give everything a good mix. Stir in the tomato sauce.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 8 minutes at high pressure.
- Open the valve to quick release any remaining pressure.
- Press the sauté button, add the bell peppers and cook until they soften to your liking.
- Stir in the cream and fenugreek leaves.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired, then serve.
Looking for more Instant Pot Recipes? Try these:
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Instant Pot Saag
Instant Pot Carne Guisada
Instant Pot Habanero Chili
Instant Pot Dal Makhani
Goat Curry in a Hurry
Instant Pot Texas Beef Chili
Instant Pot Ground Lamb Curry