How can you elevate an Indian meal? Skip the plain basmati rice and make matar pulao to go along with your meal instead!
This mildly flavored rice dish is known as matar pulao or pea pulao and it is so easy to make. The caramelized onions, aromatic spices and the sweetness from the peas make this bowl of rice taste a little extra special.
I already have a recipe for making perfect plain white basmati rice on the blog, but I wanted to share this pea pulao with you too because the truth is that most of the time, I make this pea pilaf over plain rice. That’s because it’s easy to make, tastes great and makes a simple meal feel a touch more elaborate.
In the spring and summer time, I’ll serve this pea pulao as part of a simple meal alongside this tomato stew (I skip the blending and leave it “rustic”), a spoonful of yogurt/raita and some sort of Indian pickle. So easy and tasty!
This mildly flavored rice dish, also known as matar pulao, is so easy to make. The caramelized onions, aromatic spices and the sweetness from the peas make this bowl of rice taste a little extra special.
- 1 cup basmati rice, soaked for 15-30 minutes
- 3 tablespoons oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cinnamon stick
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Soak the basmati rice in cold water for 15-30 minutes. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Press the sauté button, add the oil and allow it to heat up for a minute. Add the cumin seeds and once they begin to brown, add the cardamom, cloves, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Give everything a quick stir, then add the diced onion.
- Stir-fry for 6-7 minutes, or until the onion begins to brown. Then add the rice, peas, water and salt. Mix well.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 6 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Open the valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
- This is my favorite brand of basmati rice – highly recommend it.