I’ve been making salsa chicken for as long as I’ve had my instant pot. This is my go-to recipe whenever I have friends drop by for lunch or whenever I’m feeling too tired to cook. It’s also great for meal prep! I make/eat some version of this every other week.
If I’m being honest, salsa chicken is a recipe that I’m slightly embarrassed to be sharing on the blog because it’s so easy to make (I mean, is this even a recipe?). BUT. You’d be surprised at how many friends/family members have asked me how I make this chicken. So here I am, sharing this “recipe” for those of you who might also be seeking out simple lunch/dinner ideas.
There are two main ingredients in salsa chicken (you know what they are lol). And while you can leave it at just two ingredients, I do usually add a few extra spices to the dish. The additional spices make for a more special salsa chicken.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH SALSA CHICKEN?
So many things! You can get away with making this chicken weekly – just create slightly different dishes with it. And switch up the salsa too to give the chicken a different flavor. I love switching out tomato salsa for salsa verde. 💚
- allll the tacos! taco tues, I see you. 🌮
- loaded nachos! totally an acceptable dinner…
- burrito bowls with rice and beans and the works!
- topping for baked potatoes (serve w/cheese and sour cream and pickled jalapeños)!
- taco salad!
If you’re looking for more super simple recipe ideas that are basically pour and cook, try my lentil bolognese, curry chicken or Thai chicken recipes.
- 1 16 ounce jar of (your fav) salsa
- 1 ½ pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
- Serve with: tortillas cilantro, avocado, lime, jalapeños
- Add all of the ingredients to an instant pot.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 5 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure (or NPR for 10 minutes, then release pressure).
- Using two forks, shred the chicken (or you can remove the chicken and cut it into chunks if you prefer).
- Serve in tortillas with your favorite taco toppings! Or use however you’d like!
- For a variation, try salsa verde! If using salsa verde, skip the optional spices.
Leave a Comment & Rating