Mathi also known as Mathri is one of my favorite Indian tea-time snacks. It’s a crumbly, salty and savory Indian biscuit that’s perfect served alongside a hot cup of masala chai. Typically, mathris are deep fried and made with all-purpose flour. My Paleo Mathri recipe is gluten-free and easy to make – you just bake these little biscuits in an oven.
I’ve loved these savory Indian crackers since I was a kid. They’re flaky and tasty and I have fond memories of eating them (okay… more like stuffing my face with them).
Mathris have a very distinct flavor – due to the carom seeds (aka ajwain in Hindi). Carom seeds look similar to cumin seeds but they taste more like thyme on speed… if you can imagine that. They’re very fragrant. Carom seeds are known to help with digestion – so really, you can think of mathi as a digestive biscuit… only way tastier.
This recipe will make you 6-7 little mathris – the perfect amount for the two of us. If you have a bigger fam, just double or triple the recipe. Mix all of your dry ingredients together, add ghee and then combine well with your hands. Add a tablespoon of water and continue to knead until you can form a little ball. The texture should be kind of like playdoh.
Roll it into a log – if you lose a few crumbles along the way, no worries – just pick em up. Cut the log into 1 inch pieces and then flatten the pieces between two sheets of wax paper. Gently place the flattened crackers onto your baking sheet and then put into the oven at 375 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
When they’re done – they’ll be a beautiful golden brown.Print
- Mix dry ingredients together, add ghee and combine well with hands. Add 1 tbs water and continue to knead together.
- Form a ball and then a log shape with the dough.
- Cut the log into 1 inch pieces and then pat each piece into a ball/disc shape.
- Gently flatten each piece between two sheets wax paper until about ¼ inch thick – use palm to flatten.
- Use a knife to make little dashes into the biscuit – then use your knife or a spatula to place the biscuit onto a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 15-18 mins or until golden brown.
- Serving Size: 6-7 little biscuits