You are going to love these soft paleo pumpkin cookies with chocolate chips! They are gluten-free, grain-free, and so delicious!
Soft cookies. Melty chocolate. Pumpkin spice. Flaky sea salt.
Okay, not really the end. But I basically just told you everything you need to know about these cookies. If you decide to stick around for more, it’s because you love me. Or want to get to know me. Either way, it’s cool. 😎
These cookies are basically tasty clouds of pumpkin spice with chocolate chips. I’d totally jump on these cookie clouds if I could… like if I were teeny tiny or if the cookies were actually the size of clouds. If I tried to jump on them now, I’d squish them. And that, of course, would be a silly thing to do. 🍪🎃☁️
What’s in the cookie dough?
This cookie dough is mainly made out of almond flour, maple syrup, canned pumpkin, and cashew butter.
Cashew butter is great in baked goods because it has a neutral nutty flavor.
I’m sure you can use any nut butter in this recipe. I wouldn’t use peanut butter, though, because (while marvelous) it tends to take over in the flavor department. Pb is basically an attention hog, you know? 🙄
Cashew butter is really chill. Cashew butter understands that this is pumpkin’s time and is cool with letting pumpkin take over. I mean, really, pumpkin only gets a couple of months out of the year; let’s let pumpkin have this.
Something to know about the dough:
When you make this cookie dough, you’ll notice that it looks more like a thick and sticky wet batter – it’s not going to look like a normal/non-paleo cookie dough (if you want something more along those lines, check out my gluten-free slice and bake cookies). You need to let the dough chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes, so the wet ingredients have time to absorb. You’ll also need to use a cookie scoop. I like using this small scoop, but you can make these cookies as big or as small as you want.
I highly recommend getting a small cookie scoop. It makes scooping out dough a breeze.
- 2 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 egg
- ½ cup cashew butter
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well, then add wet ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the cookie batter for at least 15 minutes in the fridge, this will give the liquid time to absorb and will help thicken the batter. Keep in mind that the batter will still be soft (different from non-paleo/regular cookie dough) and you will want to use a cookie scoop.
- Using a cookie scoop, place the dough onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Top with flaky sea salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until set.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack.