No tomatoes! No beans! Can I even call this chili?!
Yep. Yep, I can.
Why? Because it has allll the flavors of chili and more. Annnnd because of the way that I cooked the butternut squash – it even has a “bean”-like texture, you know, if you use your imagination a little bit. Why make a chili without beans? Well if you’re on the paleo diet, beans are a no go. And well, if you’re trying to avoid feeling bloated, then this is the chili for you.
So how does my butternut squash end up with a “bean-ish” texture? Because I cook it over low heat until it’s just tender but still has some give to it. It shouldn’t turn to mush in your mouth – it should add a nice texture to this meaty chili.
Let’s talk flavor because that’s where it’s at with this chili. It’s got a kick to it – thanks to the serrano peppers. It’s spicy, slightly sweet thanks to the squash, chipotle-y and even a little smoky.
The best way to chow down on this bowl of hugs: while wearing your pajamas, sitting on your cozy couch under a warm fuzzy blanket. Okay, that’s actually the way I eat all of my meals these days… real talk.
So grab a bowl and join me on the couch. Let’s eat some chili together 🙂
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 serrano peppers, minced
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 pounds butternut squash, chopped
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 3 cups broth
- Cilantro, optional
- Melt the coconut oil in dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, serrano peppers, and ground meat and cook for 15 minutes, or until mostly browned.
- Add the spices, mix well, then add the butternut squash and broth.
- Reduce the heat to low for 18-20 minutes, or until the squash has softened but is still slightly crisp.
- For a thicker chili, remove 1 cup of of the cooked butternut from the pot and place in a blender along with some liquid from the pot. Blend until smooth, then put back into the pot.
- Garnish with cilantro, then serve.