This Thai meatball curry is outrageously good. Talk about umami. So flavorful, so rich and so yummy.
These Thai meatballs are made with Thai red curry paste, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, onions, green chilies, spices and Thai basil. After you shallow fry these savory balls of delicious meat, use the same pan to cook your curry. The coconut curry will soak up the leftover brown bits of beef which will give your curry more depth and flavor. This seriously might just be the best Thai meatball curry ever. These meatballs are tasty on their own and they’d definitely make great Thai burgers BUT if this is your first time making this, don’t skip out on the curry. It’s too good.
So, I’m going to take a break from dishing about this dish to tell you about my awesome weekend. This past weekend, Roby and I celebrated our one year wedding anniversary. On Friday night, he made dinner and honestly, I wasn’t really sure what to expect. The last time Roby cooked us dinner, he covered two salmon fillets with an entire pack of bacon.
This time, dinner was a little more balanced – and insanely delicious. Rob made scallops and filet mignon with fresh asparagus and mushrooms. He also served salad. To top it all off – he made me paleo salad dressing and paleo steak sauce. Yep, he’s amazing.
The next day, we ate eggs with my leftover filet mignon (um, best breakfast ever) and then headed to Pittsburgh. I had a surprise activity planned for us. I took Rob to this super cool place called Copper Kettle where you can make craft beer from scratch. It obviously wasn’t a gluten-free experience but I don’t drink beer anyway, so this was solely for him. I love activities though so I had a lot of fun learning about and making beer. The beer needs time to ferment, so we actually have to go back in a few weeks to bottle our beer. When we do, I’ll update you with a picture of our bottles (which will have awesome labels ;)).
After beer making (and beer drinking on Rob’s part), we headed over to our hotel to get ready for the rest of our day/evening. We went downtown, walked around, admired everything and ate dinner at this mediterranean restaurant. After dinner, Roby had a surprise for me… a show. Not just any show… but a JERRY SEINFELD show. I was sooo excited when I found out. That guy is hilarious. We laughed for like two hours straight. Roby and I love to laugh. I know that sounds strange, I mean – who doesn’t love to laugh, right? Well, we seek laughter. We watch comedy central all the time and we watch a ton of silly animal videos on youtube. So spending two hours sitting and laughing with Roby was kind of amazing.
Okay, back to the Thai meatball curry. If you like Thai food, you should really try this dish; it’s different and delicious. I think you’ll absolutely love it.Print
- 1 pound ground meat (I like using ground beef)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 3 Thai bird’s eye chilies, minced
- handful of Thai basil, chopped
- ½ – 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons red onion, minced (or half a small red onion)
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Oil, enough to shallow fry (about 2 tablespoons)
- Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs and form into little balls.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat and fry the meatballs until golden. Set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the onion and a pinch of salt to the same pan so that the onions can soak up the oil/beef fat.
- Once the onions become golden and soft, add ginger, garlic and Thai bird’s eye chilies.
- After a minute, add the curry paste and stir-fry. Then add the coconut milk.
- Put meatballs back in the pan and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with lime wedges and enjoy.