This 2-ingredient paleo caramel candy is incredibly sweet and perfectly chewy, just as caramels should be. These little squares of deliciousness are hard to resist and they’re completely guilt free. The coolest thing about this tasty caramel recipe is that you only need TWO ingredients to make it. I’m kind of curious as to whether anyone can guess what the two ingredients are…
So, give it a try. Think you know the answer? I love playing games!
So either you’re like “whoa, mind blown” or you’re totally unimpressed. Hopefully it’s not the latter. I’d love for you to think I’m awesome…
The way you make these caramels is by chopping up dates and sauteing them in ghee. Doing this breaks down the fruit and allows the dates to melt into each other, forming a pliable date fudge. It’s actually pretty fun to watch. Because dates are sugary, they caramelize during the process and soak up most of the melted ghee. Once cool enough to touch, shape the caramel fudge dough into a square and let it set in the fridge. Then, slice and serve!
The ghee adds a nutty and buttery flavor to the caramel. This really and truly tastes like candy.
Now the idea is that this paleo candy can be made with two ingredients, but please don’t stop there. Experiment in your kitchen and make something awesome with this. My favorite way to eat these is to top them with coarse sea salt but you can also add some vanilla, cardamom (I’ve done this and it’s awesome) or chopped nuts (also tried and it’s awesome). Or, try my coconut caramel candy! You can create a million different variations of this sweet caramel recipe. Let me know what you decide to add to yours!
- Remove pits from dates and then chop dates into small pieces.
- Add ghee to a saucepan on medium heat and then add chopped dates. Saute for about five minutes or until dates soak up most of the ghee.
- Flatten the pliable date fudge between two sheets of parchment paper or with a spatula.
- Put in the fridge to cool for an hour.
- Remove and cut into caramel squares.
- Let it cool to room temperature and eat like candy!