There’s a funny story about the origination of the Shami Kebab, a minced meat kebab that literally melts in your mouth. It’s said that a chef invented this silky smooth kebab during the Mughal era – for an elderly nobleman who had lost his teeth. This toothless nobleman wanted to be able to enjoy meat, and so this appetizer (which I HAVE to describe as toothsome) came to be. This nobleman lived in Lucknow (my mom’s hometown) and while I have no idea whether this story is true, I do know that my mom ate these kebabs growing up. So, that my friends, is the legend of the Shami Kebab.
Interesting right? I am all about providing you with food + entertainment here on myheartbeets. You should definitely make these kebabs and while your guests talk about how incredibly soft and smooth these delightful little appetizers are… you too can tell them the tale of the Shami Kebab.
A Shami Kebab can be made with any type of meat. I’ve made the recipe below using ground lamb and goat – both have been delicious. I usually serve these kebabs with my dad’s amazing sweet and spicy green chutney – and they’re always a huge hit. I also have a similar Keralite croquette recipe using minced beef – those, while delish, take a bit more time to make than these easy to make kebabs.
The type of masala used to make kebabs varies – but I love using this meat masala mix. It’s my favorite spice blend – it’s perfect for throwing together a last minute stir-fry for dinner. I definitely suggest you keep it handy. It’s made with cardamom, fennel seeds, cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Make these kebabs as an appetizer for your next party. You can make them in advance – just keep them in the freezer and thaw/fry before your guests arrive. They’re sure to be a hit with everyone!
- 1 lb ground meat (lamb or goat)
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 tbs Grassfed Organic Ghee + enough to fry
- 1 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Meat Masala
- 2 tbs Almond Flour
- small handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 egg
- Blend onion, serrano pepper, ginger, garlic and 1 tbs water in a food processor - blend until it forms a watery paste.
- Add 1 tbs ghee to a saute pan on medium heat and cook the onion mixture, stirring occasionally, until it begins to turn golden brown - this will take about 15 mins.
- Add spices and stir-fry for a minute then add the ground meat.
- Once the ground meat has browned, allow it to cool.
- Put the cooled meat in the food processor to mince the meat.
- Then put minced meat, cilantro, almond flour and egg into a bowl and mix well - shape into patties. Refrigerate patties for an hour or until you are ready to shallow fry.
- Shallow fry the patties with ghee in a cast iron skillet until golden brown, using a fork to gently flip them over to cook both sides.