Shakshouka, a dish made by poaching eggs in a spiced tomato sauce, is the perfect anytime meal. It calls for a few humble ingredients that come together to form a surprisingly flavorful meal.
Shakshouka kind of looks like an egg pizza, doesn’t it? Roby and I eat this popular middle eastern dish all the time because it’s easy to make (one-pan meal) and it’s super tasty.
When you make this dish, you first need to sauté onions until they turn golden, then add garlic, serrano pepper and red bell pepper. Once that’s nice and soft, add tomatoes and simmer until the tomatoes reduce and create a sauce that’s nice and thick.
Spice that sauce and gently crack eggs into the skillet. If you’re trying to make the dish look fancy, crack your eggs in a bowl and then gently slide them into the skillet. This way if you’re clumsy and break a yolk, you can just use another egg (and eat the broken egg yolk egg separately, of course. we don’t waste eggs now). Cover the skillet until the eggs are cooked to your liking, sprinkle with a little cilantro and devour.
- 1 tablespoon ghee butter, oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 serrano pepper minced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ¼ teaspoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt to taste
- Pinch of cayenne to taste
- 5-6 eggs
- Cilantro optional for garnish
- Heat ghee/oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and stir occasionally for about 10-15 minutes, or until they begin to turn golden brown.
- Add garlic and serrano pepper and stir for a couple minutes, then add the red bell pepper and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the spices into the sauce then add the tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until tomatoes have reduced and the sauce has thickened (taste sauce and adjust seasonings).
- Gently crack eggs into skillet, season top of eggs with salt and pepper then cover the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle with cilantro if desired and serve.
Leave a Comment & Rating