This Indian Ground Lamb is like an Indian version of chili or beef stew. It’s made with warming spices like ginger, coriander, cumin, turmeric and meat masala. Serrano peppers add a little heat and fresh tomatoes add a touch of sweetness. The potatoes, peas and carrots help make this one hearty meal. Slow cooking the curry helps fuse all of these flavors together, making for one delectable dish.
You can use any slow cooker to make this recipe – but I made mine in my new Wonderbag. It’s a pretty neat device – it’s a slow cooker that doesn’t use any energy. Yep, that’s right – you don’t have to plug it in. It’s perfect for camping, tailgating, potlucks, picnics or you know… if the world ends (kidding).
Typically when I make a ground meat slow cooker curry or chili (like my habanero chili), I first use a pan to cook the meat and then I add the mixture to my crockpot. Now, I can cook everything in one pot and then place the pot in this pillowy bag. One less dish to clean makes me one happy lady 🙂
I plan on using this to keep my food warm during my next dinner party – it’s an instant conversation starter. Now, you should know that this is a fairly large bag – one that will have a dedicated spot on my counter during the winter months. In the summer time, I plan on storing this in the trunk of my car – because it’s also great at keeping things cold. I’ll be able to buy my coconut ice cream and keep it cool while I run errands. Much better than running home to put ice cream in the freezer.
I hope you’ll make this ground lamb curry – in whatever slow cooker you choose! And stay tuned for my Instant Pot version if you’re more of a pressure cooker cook! 🙂
- 2 tablespoons Grassfed Organic Ghee
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 cup peas
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, minced
- 1-2 Serrano peppers (adjust according to your taste)
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon meat masala
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder (or cayenne)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup organic tomato sauce
- optional: cilantro for garnish
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Melt ghee in a saute pan over medium heat and saute onions until golden brown.
- Add ginger, garlic and serrano pepper. Stir-fry for a minute then add tomatoes. Cover pan for 5 minutes.
- Add spices and stir-fry for one minute then add the ground lamb.
- Once the meat is fully browned, add it to your slow cooker along with peas, carrots, potatoes and tomato sauce.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
If Using a Wonderbag:
- Melt ghee in a saucepan on medium heat, and add onions.
- Once the onions begin to brown, add ginger, garlic, and serrano pepper. Stir-fry for a minute then add tomatoes. Mix well and cover pan for five minutes.
- Add the spices and stir-fry for a minute before adding the ground lamb.
- Once the lamb is fully brown, add peas, carrots, potatoes and tomato sauce. Combine well, raise heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, put on cover and cook for another few minutes. Then remove from heat and place inside the Wonderbag. Cover the Wonderbag with the insulating lid and pull drawstring to secure.
- After 4-5 hours, serve.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: Thank you Wonderbag for sponsoring today’s post! In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.