Chutney in 5 minutes! This amchoor ki chutney is sweet and tangy. It takes minutes to make in an Instant Pot and calls for Indian pantry ingredients. A pour and cook chutney!
What is Amchoor Chutney?
Amchoor ki chutney is basically an Indian sweet and sour sauce. It’s a khatti-meethi chutney. Khatti means sour, and meethi means sweet. See? Indian sweet and sour sauce. It’s a bit spicy too, though you can adjust the spice level if needed.
It’s a great substitute for tamarind chutney. Both chutneys are similar in that they have a fruity, tangy flavor.
The main ingredient here is amchoor powder, also spelled amchur powder.
“I’ve made this twice now and absolutely love it! Saves me from making tamarind chutney and I don’t like the taste of store bought ones. This is perfect! Thanks Ashley for a simple and tasty chutney!”Ritu
What is Amchoor/Amchur Powder?
Aam means mango, and choor means powder. Amchur is dried green mango powder. Green mangoes are raw and sour, so amchoor powder adds a tangy flavor to recipes.
Indian recipes often call for souring agents (like tamarind, kodumpuli, kokum, dry pomegranate seeds, to name a few). Amchoor powder is a commonly used souring agent – it’s easy to find and used in many recipes. You can find amchoor powder online or at your local Indian grocery store.
When you combine dry mango powder with sugar, water, and spices, you get this chutney.
Easy to Make in an Instant Pot
Pour and cook chutney. Have you heard of such a thing? Forget standing by a pot on the stove and stirring and stirring. With this recipe, you just dump a handful of ingredients into a pot and cook. It’s unbelievably simple.
Look, I’ll show you. Pour a few ingredients into a pot and pressure cook.
Open the lid, pour the chutney into a container and let it cool.
Refrigerate for two hours, and it’s ready to use!
How to Use this Chutney:
You can enjoy this chutney with any Indian snack (chaat) or use it like ketchup! Here are a few ideas:
- Lazy Tikki
- Stuffed Aloo Tikki
- Sweet Potato Tikki
- Aloo Pakora
- Black-Eyed Pea Chaat
- Pani Puri
- Use in place of ketchup! With chicken nuggets, fries, whatever!
Let me know how you use this easy-to-make chutney! 🙂
- ¾ cup water (6 ounces)
- ¼ cup amchoor (dried green mango powder)
- ¾ cup sugar (150 grams)
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon kala namak (black salt)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a 6 quart instant pot and mix well.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 5 minutes at high pressure.
- Quick-release pressure.
- Give it a stir and pour into a container. Let the chutney come to room temperature.
- Put it in the fridge for 2 hours to thicken. The chutney will thicken as it cools. It should coat a spoon, and be easy to drizzle.
- You can store the chutney in an air-tight container in the fridge for a week, or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Important: All recipes on my blog are tested using a 6 quart instant pot – I have not tested this recipe in a different sized pot. I don’t know if this recipe will work in a 3 quart or 8 quart. I suggest only using a 6 quart for this recipe, but if you experiment, please leave a comment to let us know how it goes!
Leave a Comment & Rating