If you’re looking for a delicious way to enjoy turnips, you’ve found it! This Indian spiced turnip recipe is also known as shalgam ki sabzi. It’s a simple side that’s easy to make and also very flavorful.
Shalgam ki Sabzi – An Indian Turnip Recipe
This is a North Indian recipe that’s often served during the fall and winter. But you can find turnips year-round at the grocery store, so feel free to enjoy this any time! Like cauliflower and potatoes, turnips also tend to absorb flavor very well.
Some prefer to puree the turnips after cooking them and eat this as a mashed dish (bhartha), but I personally prefer the soft texture of cooked turnips.
“This was my first time cooking with turnips, and I absolutely loved it! This is my now go-to turnip recipe, And the fact that it can be made in the instant pot is such a bonus! Thank you!”Maneesha
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this turnip sabzi!
More Indian Vegetable Recipes
- ½ cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar coconut sugar or jaggery
- 2 pounds turnips chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cilantro garnish
- Press the sauté button then add the ghee. Once the ghee melts, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and bay leaf to the pot. When the cumin seeds brown and and the mustard seeds begin to pop, add the onions and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until the onions soften.
- Add the garlic, ginger, Serrano pepper and spices and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Then add the tomato sauce, sugar, turnips, water and mix well.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 5 minutes at high pressure.
- Open the valve to quick release any remaining pressure.
- Garnish with cilantro.