If you’re looking for a delicious way to enjoy turnips, you’ve found it! This Indian spiced turnip recipe is also known as shalgam ki sabzi. It’s a simple side that’s easy to make and also very flavorful.
This is a North Indian recipe that’s often served during the fall and winter. But you can find turnips year-round at the grocery store, so feel free to enjoy this any time! Like cauliflower and potatoes, turnips also tend to absorb flavor really well.
Some prefer to puree the turnips after cooking them and eat this as a mashed dish (bhartha), but I personally prefer the soft texture of cooked turnips.
This Punjabi side dish isn’t dry nor is it overly saucy. It has just a bit of sauce that mostly clings to the turnips. It’s a dish that goes great with roti and dal, or you can serve this with basmati rice too.
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this turnip sabzi!Print
This is a North Indian recipe that’s often served during the fall and winter. Like cauliflower and potatoes, turnips also tend to absorb flavor really well. Some prefer to puree the turnips after cooking them and eat this as a mashed dish (bhartha), but I personally prefer the soft texture of cooked turnips. Serve this sabzi (cooked vegetable) with Indian flatbread.
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ Serrano pepper or green chili, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder (amchur)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Press the sauté button then add the ghee. Once the ghee melts, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and bay leaf to the pot. When the cumin seeds brown and and the mustard seeds begin to pop, add the onions and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until the onions soften.
- Add the garlic, ginger, Serrano pepper and spices and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Then add the tomato sauce, sugar, turnips, water and mix well.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 5 minutes at high pressure.
- Open the valve to quick release any remaining pressure.
- Garnish with cilantro.