This simple and flavorful Indian spiced cabbage and peas dish is a regular side served in Indian homes. An authentic, humble dish that calls for a handful of basic Indian spices and takes very little time to make in an Instant Pot.
What is Indian Cabbage and Peas (Bandh Gobi Matar Sabzi)?
This Indian cabbage and peas stir fry goes by many different names, including bandh gobi matar or patta gobi matar. Both patta gobi and bandh gobi translate to “cabbage,” and matar means “peas.”
Chances are you won’t find this dish served in an Indian restaurant – it’s not fancy, and it doesn’t call for cream or butter. But go into an Indian home, and you may find this on regular dinner rotation – at least, that was the case for me, growing up in a Punjabi home. This is real Indian food – or maybe I should say “everyday Indian food.” Cabbage and peas sabzi is the kind of thing an Indian mama/parent will make for you.
I’ve mentioned this in previous blog posts, but the great thing about cooking Indian vegetables in an Instant Pot is that you can cook a “dry” dish. Not everything you cook needs to end up wet and soupy. This cabbage dish is a great example of a stir-fry/sauté dish you can make in a pressure cooker. It takes far less time than if you were to make it on the stovetop, and you don’t need to add much water to the pot because vegetables naturally release water.
That said, when you make this recipe, please be sure to use freshly sliced cabbage. Pre-cut cabbage will become overcooked/mushy under pressure.
Here are more “dry” veggie sides to try:
This recipe is pretty much suitable for most diets/lifestyles. It’s naturally vegan and gluten-free. It’s simple and tasty.
You can serve this cabbage sabzi with a side of dal and roti/flatbread or basmati rice. It’d be great with my toor dal or dal makhani or langar dal. Pretty much any type of dal. It would be great with any meat dish too.
Let me know what you think of this cabbage peas sabzi!
- 2 tablespoons oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 small cabbage approx. 28 ounces, sliced or shredded
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cilantro garnish
- On a 6 qt Instant Pot, press the sauté button, add the oil and allow it to heat up for a minute. Once it’s hot, add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begin to pop, add the ginger, stir, then add the cabbage and peas. Sprinkle the spices on top, add the water and give everything a good mix.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 3 minutes at high pressure.
- Open the valve to quick release any remaining pressure.
- Mix well, garnish with cilantro and serve
Leave a Comment & Rating