Can’t tolerate dairy? Are you vegan or making dinner for vegan friends? I am about to be your new BFF (best friend forever) because this pumpkin mac and cheese is off the hook! And by “off the hook” I mean crazy good.
I can’t believe that I’m about to say this but you know how I shared a recipe for Instant Pot mac and cheese last week? Well… I like this vegan pumpkin mac and cheese even more! Honestly, I do. It’s so “cheesy!” And creamy and delicious! The pumpkin adds color and a bit of sweetness and the nutritional yeast gives the dish a tasty cheesy flavor.
I had my one-year-old, Tony, “taste test” this for me and he loved it! I love having an adorable taste-tester who actually eats what I make without asking me twenty questions first. My (also adorable) husband always wants to know what “funny” things I’ve put into recipes (heh, like nutritional yeast) but Tony doesn’t question me. That kid just gobbles up whatever I give him. Except avocado. He has a strong aversion to avocado, which only makes me a little sad considering it was his first food. I think I over did it back in the day (you know, like 4-5 months ago) but I guess that’s neither here nor there. Wow, what a tangent.
Getting back on track now… this pumpkin mac and cheese is a winner you guys. I still can’t get over how well this dish turned out. Sometimes even I surprise myself (humble brag). Look at that creamy sauce coating those little noodles – can you believe that there’s no cheese in this?
I used canned pumpkin in this recipe but you can use mashed sweet potato or butternut squash or basically any variety of potato/squash. I’m just riding the pumpkin train because it’s fall and because I love pumpkin (see my pumpkin recipes here).
This recipe calls for gluten-free elbow macaroni – I’ve tried several different brands of gluten-free noodles and this brand is the only one that works for me every single time.
Try this once and I’m sure you’ll be mackin’ on this mac. Um, I’m sure I used the phrase incorrectly. Also, that’s probably not a thing people even say anymore.
I wonder if Tony will read this blog one day and be like “omg my mom was so uncool.” Or maybe he’ll always think I’m the greatest. HA.
Make this pumpkin’ mac y’all. It only takes 4 minutes, so make it then come back and tell me how much you liked it!
- Add the macaroni, water, palm shortening, and salt to the Instant Pot.
- Secure lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 4 minutes at high pressure.
- Quick release pressure as soon as the time is up, then immediately stir in the coconut milk, pumpkin puree and nutritional yeast.
- Make sure to quick release pressure as soon as the time is up. If you wait too long, the noodles will overcook.
- I use Barilla gluten-free elbow macaroni
- Please let me know if you try another brand of gluten-free pasta and if it works for you
- Brands that work (will update this as I try more brands): Barilla gluten-free elbow macaroni; Ann from the UK says that Garofalo gluten-free penne pasta worked for her
- Brands that do not work: Trader Joe’s Brown Rice and Quinoa Pasta; Trader Joe’s Black Bean Pasta (these will turn to mush)