If you’re a chili fan like I am, then you will LOVE this meaty pumpkin chili. It’s the perfect recipe for fall!
My recipe for paleo pumpkin chili is spicy and full of seasonal flavor: pumpkin pie spice and freshly grated nutmeg. It also calls for pumpkin puree. You can use fresh puree if you want, but to be honest, I prefer the convenience of canned organic pumpkin puree.
Even if you’re not a fan of pumpkin, I encourage you to try this recipe. Pumpkin is great because it doesn’t really have much flavor on its own – but it carries flavor really well. The purpose of adding pumpkin to this chili is to add a little thickness to dish. Plus, you get all the benefits that come with eating pumpkin. Like, extra fiber, vitamin A and potassium – just to name a few things. ?
I think chili is one of my favorite things to eat this time of year. I make a batch almost every week. It’s so easy to make and fills the house with the best aroma! Plus, chili is a recipe that both Roby (my hubby) and I enjoy. I know Roby genuinely likes this recipe too because whenever I pack this for his lunch, he never “forgets” to take it with him. ?
The first time I made this, I wasn’t sure what he’d think of pumpkin chili, because it’s different from my usual recipe – but he absolutely loved it! If you’re looking for a new chili recipe to make this season, I hope you try this!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup bone broth or stock
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Add the oil, beef and onion to a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat.
- Once the beef has browned, add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Bring the contents of the pot to a boil, then immediately reduce to low and cover with a lid. Cook for 45 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired, and serve.