If you’re a chili fan like I am, then you will LOVE this meaty pumpkin chili. It’s the perfect recipe for fall!
This pumpkin chili recipe is spicy and full of seasonal flavor. We’ve got canned pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and freshly grated nutmeg.
This is a meaty chili – no beans here; just ground meat and vegetables.
The great thing about pumpkin is that it’s a blank canvas in terms of flavor. While it doesn’t have much flavor on its own, it carries flavor really well. The purpose of adding pumpkin to this chili is to add a little thickness to the dish. Plus, you get all the benefits that come with eating pumpkin (fiber, vitamin A and potassium, just to name a few things).
I think chili is one of my favorite things to eat this time of year. I make a batch nearly every week. It’s easy to make and fills the house with the best aroma! Plus, chili is a recipe that both Roby (my hubby) and I enjoy. I know Roby genuinely likes this recipe because whenever I pack this for his lunch, he never “forgets” to take it with him (FYI – he’s the kind of guy who prefers take-out to home-cooked food… I don’t get it.).
The first time I made this, I wasn’t sure what he’d think of pumpkin chili because it’s different from my usual recipe – but he absolutely loved it! If you’re looking for a new chili recipe to make this season, I hope you try this!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup broth or stock
- 4 celery ribs sliced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Add the oil, beef and onion to a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat.
- Once the beef has browned, add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Bring the contents of the pot to a boil, then immediately reduce to low and cover with a lid. Cook for 45 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired, and serve.