Eggs are my lazy protein.
And what I mean by that is… when you use eggs as your protein, you don’t have to worry about dirtying up utensils by touching raw meat or cutting off the fat. I know all of that takes like max ten minutes but still. On my lazy days, eggs are what’s for dinner. This Punjabi egg curry is one of my favorite go-to egg recipes because not only is it easy to make, it’s also incredibly flavorful. You add hard-boiled eggs to a spiced tomato sauce and in less than 30 minutes, dinner is done. Serve this on top of rice, cauli-rice or with my paleo naan.
Like most Indian dishes, it’s all about the layering. You cook the onions then you cook the ginger/garlic and then the spices… etc etc etc. And just like any recipe, the better your ingredients, the better this will taste. IF you decide you want to do what I do on my SUPER lazy days, then go ahead and use canned tomatoes but make sure to add some sweetener if you do. Canned tomatoes always taste a little tart to me.
This recipe is a north Indian egg curry – if you’re looking for a south Indian egg curry, check out my coconut egg curry recipe. Both are awesome. It’s kind of great growing up in a north Indian family and then marrying into a south Indian one. You get the best of both worlds… or well, the best of India.
Like Indian food? Then be sure to check out my Paleo Indian eCookbook: South Asian Persuasion! It has 100+ Paleo Indian Recipes (gulab jamun, anyone?) 🙂Print
- 6 eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch knob ginger, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Serrano pepper (more if you like it spicy), minced
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium heat and add onion, bay leaf and Serrano pepper.
- When onion browns, add ginger and garlic. Stir-fry for a minute.
- Add cumin, paprika, chilli powder, garam masala, coriander, paprika, turmeric and salt to mixture. Add tomatoes, stir and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add ½ cup water, cover the pan and cook until the tomatoes break down (5-10 minutes).
- Add the eggs and stir so they get some color. You can always sprinkle a little turmeric or paprika to add more color to the eggs.