A unique and refreshing salad made by tossing crunchy cabbage, salty peanuts, hearty chickpeas, and creamy potatoes with a tangy and spicy dressing made with lemon juice and sambal.
A Healthy Salad Chaat
This cabbage salad is more like a chaat salad – a healthy take on chaat.
This is not your typical salad. For starters, it’s spicy. And there are potatoes (potatoes in a salad?!). But trust me, this is a salad that’ll have you and your family/friends talking. And since salads aren’t typically a topic of conversation, you know that means this is one special salad.
Speaking of talking about salads…
My friend Vanita made this salad for me a little while back and I was so surprised by how good the salad was that several days later, I was still thinking about the salad (and who thinks about salad? lol), so I asked her for the recipe.
Vanita told me she got it from her sister Shivani who got it from their Babbo aunty.
I mean… talk about talking about salads! This is a salad recipe passed down by word of mouth!
And we all know the best recipes are passed down through word of mouth or email or what’s app (and hopefully, you find an occasional gem here on my blog, lol).
I’m somewhat of a salad skeptic. I’ve never really believed people who claim to love salads. I’ve always thought that salads are something you’re supposed to eat, not something you’re supposed to genuinely enjoy. At least, that’s what I thought until I met this salad.
And not to be all hyperbolic about salad but (I will be)… I sort of feel like this salad has changed my world. I’m only now opening my eyes to the world of salad possibilities. For a food blogger, that’s pretty life-changing.
If you’ve browsed any of my previous salad recipes here on the blog (meh, please don’t), you’ll see I once tried to pass an avocado with peanut butter off as a salad (still think it’s good, lol). So… who knows what this means for salad recipes to come on the blog!
Not only is this salad special – it’s also simple to make. An easy salad to throw together. Make it with bagged coleslaw mix (though you can also chop cabbage yourself), roasted peanuts, chopped potatoes, cilantro, lemon juice, sambal and cayenne. And chickpeas! If you’ve been following my chickpeas series, this is a great way to use them.
Try this salad and tell me what you think! Also, share your favorite salad combinations with me. I’m ready to become someone who talks about salad.
- 1 12 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas or 1 can
- ½ cup roasted and salted peanuts chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1 handful cilantro chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons sambal oelek to taste
- Juice of 1-2 lemons to taste (freshly squeezed!)
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
- ⅛ – ¼ teaspoon cayenne or spicy red mirch to taste
- 1 6 – 8 ounce Yukon gold potato, cooked and chopped
- Combine all of the ingredients together, except for the potatoes.
- Gently fold in the potatoes.
- Taste and adjust spices or sambal or lemon juice if needed.
- Here’s a post on how to cook potatoes in an instant pot.
- This recipe is part of my “chickpea series.” Cook a big batch of dried chickpeas (see this blog post), and try one of my recipes that calls for cooked chickpeas! You can also use canned chickpeas but dried beans taste better.
- feel free to adjust any of the ingredients to taste – you can’t go wrong. if you like potatoes, add more! same goes for everything else.