This spicy ham and potato breakfast hash is the perfect way to use up your leftover holiday ham!
This is not your average “leftover ham” recipe. Everyone always makes soup with leftover ham and don’t get me wrong, I love soup and have plenty of leftover ham and ham-bone soup recipes on the blog. But there’s only so much soup a person can eat, right? Sometimes you need food with a bit more texture – like fried ham paired with spicy potatoes.
After taking one bite of this spicy ham hash, your family will be lining up for seconds. This ham and potato hash has a kick to it. I think adding a bit of heat makes the dish taste brand new because it’ll be so different from the ham you enjoyed during the holiday. If you make this with leftover sweet ham, it’ll contrast nicely with the spice. If you make this with leftover salty ham, it’ll be really delicious too. Basically you can’t go wrong as long as you’ve got some leftover ham. If you don’t have leftover ham, then make some! I’ve got a recipe for Instant Pot Ham with a spiced honey glaze that is a must-make.
It’s no secret that I love food. After all, I am a food blogger. But you guys, brunch has a really special place in my heart. And no, it’s not the millennial in me saying that! I have loved brunch through all stages of my life:
- as a kid (before I knew brunch was a thing)
- as a college student (back when iHop was the place to be and when “brunch” usually took place at 2am)
- as a young college grad (when boozy brunches were a big thing)
- and now, as a mama (who has happily replaced all the mimosas for all the coffee… lots of coffee)
As a self-proclaimed brunch connoisseur, let me tell you that I know good brunch food. In fact, some of my favorite recipes on the blog are brunch recipes (like my spiced potato and egg skillet with avocado or my rosemary sausage breakfast hash). This ham hash is up there with the best. If you like ham and you like brunch, then you will love this dish. I mean really, when you’ve got a dish that calls for pan-fried ham and potatoes topped with an egg fried in butter, you know you’ve got a crowd-pleasing dish.
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 (russet) potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 Serrano peppers, minced
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced sage (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 eggs fried in butter, optional
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, then add the potatoes, onion, Serrano peppers and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed ham and continue to stir-fry for 10-12 minutes, or until the potatoes have mostly cooked through.
- Add the bell pepper, sage, paprika, black pepper and garlic powder. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the bell pepper is tender potatoes cooked through.
- Taste and add salt if needed.