Gummy bears. I think we all have our kryptonite – the one thing that can cause us to stray from our real food eating path. For me, it’s chocolate. For my mom, it’s gummy bears.
That’s why, for her birthday, my mom asked me to make her a healthy gummy bear cake – only, with homemade gummies.
Most people make gummies using gelatin, but when you heat gelatin, it starts to melt. Melted gummies are obviously not chewy. Instead, I decided to make gummies using my homemade tutti frutti recipe. Not only is my tutti frutti sweet and slightly chewy, it’s also vegetarian.
This cake may just be one of the best I’ve ever made. It’s a sweet vanilla cake that’s light, soft and buttery. The bright red gummies sprinkled throughout the cake look like little gems.
Unfortunately, you won’t see a photo of the bright red gummies… that’s because the four of us demolished this cake before I had the chance to take a proper picture. I asked everyone to leave the last slice of cake for me so that I could take a picture… but, my sneaky little brother (who is actually 26 years old…) couldn’t resist. I couldn’t blame him either (well, actually, I did…lol). But I guess this cake really is irresistible.
The next time I make this cake, I’ll be sure to take a photo. I won’t be making it any time soon though… because I know if I do, I WILL eat all of it.
- 1 cup tutti frutti
- ½ cup coconut milk, full-fat
- ½ cup melted ghee
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- Soak the tutti frutti in water for 2 minutes or until re-hydrated. Drain and set aside for now.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- Add the coconut milk, ghee, honey and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix well.
- Next, add the eggs and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the tutti frutti and divide the cake batter into two 6-inch spring-form pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Place a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight. This will cause the cream to separate from the milk.
- Place the cream, vanilla and honey into a bowl and whip with a hand-mixer until fluffy. If you have a stand mixer, you can also use that to whip the cream until fluffy.
- Place the whipped cream in the fridge until you’re ready to frost the cake.