Alright guys, this soup is absolutely souper. See what I did there? I promise to get back to this incredibly delicious creamy curried broccoli soup in a minute – but first…
I just have to tell you how excited I am. Tomorrow – my darling hubster and I will celebrate our ONE YEAR wedding anniversary. I feel like our weddings were just yesterday. I say weddings because we had two… in one day. It was so wonderfully chaotic. I was actually an hour late to our second wedding. It really wasn’t my fault though! I had like 30 pounds of Indian jewelry and a million safety pins that took forever to take off from the first Sikh wedding.
Here’s how it went. So, on October 5th of last year, we had a Sikh ceremony in the morning followed by langar (lunch).
Then, I had maybe two hours to change my outfit, hair and makeup for the next wedding – a Keralite Catholic wedding.
Do you see how different I look? THAT takes time. I remember being so worried Roby would be mad at me for being late, but he wasn’t. He was just so happy to see me when I finally did walk down the aisle. Good thing is we were already married, so it’s not like he was worried about me standing him up at the altar. Oh, it was such a happy day.
Our families are from different parts of India and practice different religions so there were several customs that we took part in throughout the week. We had a sangeet, mehndi (henna), rehearsal dinner and a few other smaller events. Anyone who thinks Greek people have big weddings should attend a week long Indian wedding. It was a stressful week, but on the day of – everything was absolutely perfect.
Here’s one of my favorite pictures from our reception. It was taken during our first dance.
Okay, now back to this spicy, creamy and dreamy broccoli soup. It’s the perfect fall comfort food – it’ll keep you nice and warm. It was souper easy to make. You’ll fall in love with this soup. My husband sure did. But he fell in love with me first 😉
- 1 medium to large broccoli (stem too!), roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Serrano pepper, roughly chopped
- 10 curry leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1-inch knob ginger, roughly chopped
- 4 cups broth (vegetable, chicken, whatever your heart desires)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup to 1 can organic coconut milk, full fat - you can make your soup as thick or thin as you’d like
- freshly ground salt and pepper, adjust to taste
- Chop up the broccoli and stem. You can remove the end or any tough/woody portion of the vegetable.
- In a large saucepan, add coconut oil and mustard seeds. Once the seeds begin to splutter, add the onions, curry leaves, green chilies and a pinch of salt.
- Saute until the onions turn golden and then add garlic and ginger.
- After a couple minutes, add broccoli, stock and a pinch of salt.
- Bring it to a boil then lower the heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Once cool, put it in a blender or if you’re fancy use your immersion blender to blend in the pot.
- Put the blended mixture back into the pot, add spices and mix well.
- Add coconut milk and bring soup to a low boil.
- After a few minutes, taste, season with salt and pepper accordingly and then serve!