Shakshouka kind of looks like an egg pizza, doesn’t it? The combination of eggs and fresh ripe tomatoes is refreshingly awesome. Roby and I eat this popular middle eastern dish all the time because it’s easy to make (one-pan meal) and it’s super tasty.
Shakshouka is made by poaching eggs in a spiced tomato sauce. It’s the perfect any time meal.
When you make this dish, start by cooking onions until they turn golden and then add garlic, serrano pepper and red bell pepper. Once that’s nice and soft, add tomatoes and simmer until the sauce is nice and thick. Spice that sauce and gently crack eggs into your skillet. If you’re trying to make the dish look fancy, crack your eggs in a bowl and then gently slide them into the skillet. This way if you’re clumsy and break a yolk, you can just use another egg (and eat the broken egg yolk egg separately). Cover your skillet until the eggs are cooked to your liking, sprinkle with a little cilantro and devour.
If you like this recipe and you too are slightly obsessed with eggs, then check out the egg section on my blog sometime.
That’s all yolks!
- 1 tablespoon Grassfed Organic Ghee
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Serrano pepper, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Kashmiri Chili Powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, adjust to taste
- 5-6 eggs
- Cilantro, optional for garnish
- Heat ghee in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and stir occasionally until onions begin to turn golden brown - about 10-15 minutes.
- Once onions soften, add garlic and Serrano pepper. After a few minutes, add red bell pepper and reduce heat to low. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spices, stir and then add tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until tomatoes have reduced and your sauce has thickened. (Taste sauce and adjust seasonings)
- Gently crack eggs into skillet, season top of eggs with salt and pepper and then place a cover on top of the skillet for about 5 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle with cilantro if desired and serve.